Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

.300 WSM questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 06:55 PM

.300 WSM questions.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and had a question you could hopefully help me out with. I am looking at getting a new rifle and am not sure if I want a .300 WM or a .300 WSM. What are the major differences and how is the accuracy with this caliber. I will mostly be shooting out to 500 yards while hunting. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: .300 WSM questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NagaViper View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and had a question you could hopefully help me out with. I am looking at getting a new rifle and am not sure if I want a .300 WM or a .300 WSM. What are the major differences and how is the accuracy with this caliber. I will mostly be shooting out to 500 yards while hunting. Thanks!

Great choices, lots of speed and energy in both rounds. Its potato patauto on this one. The only major difference (correct me if im wrong) is that the 300WM has a lot more factory ammo selections.

Those rounds can easily take any north American game at 500 yards.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Silver Member

First of all they are both great rounds, but to get the max out of ether round you need to reload. Do You?
If not, the 300 wsm will shoot with almost the same speeds that the win mag will, but with a little less recoil.
If you reload, it is cheaper to shoot the 300 win than the 300 wsm. If you reload, brass is better for the win mag and cheaper than it is for the 300 wsm. The 300 win mag has more case capacitive than the 300 wsm. So you can push it faster.
I love shooting my tikka t3 lite 300 wsm it is very accurate and lite to carry.
If you had to choose again I would buy a Win mag, and shoot the 215 gr vld after seeing what Broz has done with them.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 PM

Thanks for your help. I do reload so that's not a problem. I am just in the early stages of deciding on what to get but I really appreciate the help. Hey Shooter, how is your Tikka with grouping and accuracy around the 400 or 500 yardage. I just checked them out and the weight of the rifle is pretty appealing. Thanks again fellas.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

correct me if i am wrong but i believe barrel life is less on a win mag. if u want a long action go with a win mag, if u want a short lighter action go with the wsm. if u arent shooting past 1000 yards then either will be adequate. the win mag pushes the HEAVY stuff a bit farther. the wsm case is more efficient meaning that u will use less powder in order to alllmost match the win mag with the 150-180 gr bullets. i love my wsm and my best friend loves his win mag. my wsm is easier to hunt with because it weighs 3 pounds less and recoils less still.
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 01-13-2013, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

The WM will push bullets a little faster on average but I can get 3200 fps pushing 180's with my WSM using RL17. The WSM generally has a good reputation for good barrel life. Although manufacturers put the WSM in short actions, you can not seat the longer high BC bullets in a short action and have a repeater. If I were to build a 300 WSM, it would definitely be a long action. That said, trying to build a 300 WM on a Howa/Vanguard long action would be very cramped and you could not load bullets like the CE 180's to fit the mag box. I am currently building a 6.5 WSM on a Howa LA. The 300 WSM is an efficient cartridge as I can get 3200 fps with 180 bullets and 66 gr of powder vs 3400 fps with the same bullets out of my 300 RUM and 100 gr of powder.

You can't go wrong with either the WM or WSM. I like the WSM.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-13-2013, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

The WSM's body diameter is large which means if you intend to build your own rifle it is a consideration if you want it to feed from the magazine. I once checked my rifles and discovered to my surprise that the case wouldn't pass the feed rails on most of them.

As already mentioned the magazines can be short for the WSMs but as I discoved it may not be an issue. A friend asked me to help him find a LR load for his 300 WSM Browning A-bolt with Boss. Magazine length was 2.8". I had some 230 target hybrids and gave them a try with RL-17. The bullet is buried in the case. . There was a jump to the rifling but hybrid didn't care. The rifle shot very well and the surprise was a velocity of 2720 from his 22" barrel!