Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

300 WSM loads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 07:53 PM

300 WSM loads

Anyone out there shooting a Kimber 300 WSM....could you please tell what factory ammo is working best for you? Any help would be appreciated since I'm leaving on my first Elk hunt September 25th!
Old 08-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

Re: 300 WSM loads

Good luck on your hunt. Most guns will not just match up to one another in terms of what ammo they like. What twist do you have? Use that as a starting guide look up twist chart and see what weight range will match up best with your gun then buy a few boxes of ammo from different manufactures and see which she likes best then stock up. Dont just buy the heaviest bullets u can find because we like them here and for the bc as a factory gun may not have the twist to stabilize them Or learn to reload and really see what she can do.
Let us know how you do
Don
Old 08-28-2011, 11:41 AM

Thanks! I'm really getting an education about how little I know about ballistics.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Silver Member

No prob You will figure it out. It's not ricket science.... Actually it is but not really that difficult to comprehend once you get into it. Start learning and reading about reloading and it will help you gain a wealth of info fast. Fool luck and have fun.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member

I posted in your other thread yesterday. Believe it or not (and don't laugh) Federal Fusion did the best in my 270 WSM. Ironically, it does well in my 25-06 as well. It's about the least expensive factory ammo you'll find and worth a try. Realize it's not made for "long range" hunting, and by that I mean the ballistic coefficient of the bullet itself. It will work fine, however, and kill quite effectively.

http://www.fusionammo.com/ballistics/rifle.aspx?id=665

If I had a WSM I'd also check out the Winchester 300 WSM 180 gr Supreme Ballistic Silvertip. They shoot wonderfully in my Sendero.

FYI, so far on a few guided elk hunts the furthest Dad and I have shot is 165 yards - on a mule deer doe. Elk were 147 and 53 yards. Other deer have been as close as 80 and, as noted, as far as 165. I'm sure you will do fine.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:07 PM

Dr. Vette-
Thanks for taking the time to respond. My confidence is wavering a little right now....I spent most of my adult life in law enforcement and 6 yrs on the SWAT team. I killed 4 deer last year one of which was 250 yds. Now I can't put 6 rounds in a 10' circle from 150yds. I'm going to get my gunsmith to check the mounts and scope tomorrow and bore sight. I'm starting over with your advise on ammo. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks
Old 09-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighat View Post
Dr. Vette-
Thanks for taking the time to respond. My confidence is wavering a little right now....I spent most of my adult life in law enforcement and 6 yrs on the SWAT team. I killed 4 deer last year one of which was 250 yds. Now I can't put 6 rounds in a 10' circle from 150yds. I'm going to get my gunsmith to check the mounts and scope tomorrow and bore sight. I'm starting over with your advise on ammo. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks
The money your going to spend on the smith to troubleshoot you could get started in reloading and find or fix the problem yourself.

Single stage press kit, components, and a couple books (how to reload and reloading manual) will cost you about the price of 5 boxes of premium ammo.

I know you SWAT guys love to pull triggers but don't know much about guns.....(sorry bro I'm a fireman and i have to give you SOME sh!t) and most firefighters can shoot better than SWAT guys....haha....

Seriously start reloading and you will learn the ropes while custom tuning your ammo to your rifle and amaze yourslef with your groups in the process....

Just my opinon....