Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

300 WSM Limitations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 WSM Limitations?

Look at the Defiance Machine XM actions. They have hinged and blind magazines with a 3.200 length. They also show actions in stock for sale today.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
Look at the Defiance Machine XM actions. They have hinged and blind magazines with a 3.200 length. They also show actions in stock for sale today.
I have heard great things about their actions. Are they 700 drop ins on stocks?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley52 View Post
What would you propose as an alternative then sir? That is the longest internal magazine for a 700 SA you can find. I do not necessarily want to go to a LA for the weight and feeding issues associated with a 300 WSM in LA's.
The WSM is what it is. An .06 case variant will quick cycle smoother and faster than a WSM in any action. If the feedrails are done right and you use a centerfeed mag box you should have no issues with feeding. If you want a few ounces lighter short action than you're going to sacrifice some performance with heavier bullets. It's all about priorities. When I load 210 Bergers to just off the lands with a COAL of about 3.150, my max load is about 2935 fps.

The Defiance XM sounds like a perfect fit to me.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 04-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Silver Member

I understand there is a trade off, but I guess my question is it really that much? BC those defiance XM actions are perfect, but they require custom stocks because they are about 1/4" longer than standard 700 SA's. If I went with say a stiller TAC 300 or Predator series, what would I need to have done to ensure reliable feeding and etc. exactly?
Old 04-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

It's hard to say what the difference in velocity performance would be in getting max case capacity vs seating the fit the box. I wouldn't think anymore than 50 fps. I've never done a comparison. After having one WSM in a short action, I've decided I won't go that route again because I use long high BC bullets. If I was shooting 165's or even lead core 180's it would be a different story. But my rifles are for LR, so I use the longer bullets and put the priority on max efficiency.

A 700 clone LA is a bit of over kill. Any WSM builds I do will be on Howa/Vanguards which are a little shorter or if in the budget, the XM action sounds perfect but you would need a customized stock for the XM.

The feeding between a SA and a LA should really not be a big deal if you set it up properly.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams