Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

300 WSM factory ammo for Deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 08:21 AM
Silver Member

Re: 300 WSM factory ammo for Deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
Yes, base screws, windage screws, and ring screws. Use blue loc-tite as red will be a bear if you ever want to tear it down. Make sure all threads are good and dry, and a drop or two per screw is enough. You don't have to have your gun-smith loc-tite it after the bore sight, simply only take off or back up one of the windage screws at a time.

You can bore-sight yourself with a bulls-eye target at 100 yards. Simply look down the bore and zero the bore to the target, then move your scope to that zero without moving the rifle. If done correctly you are already on paper at 100. You can use a collimator too, but they don't work well with false muzzles(brakes, etc.) and are slower so I don't bother.
Thanks! this is all great advice. I cannot wait to get to the range suday! by the way...
I have heard many ways people break in their new rifles....do you have an opinion on that?

Last edited by Bigeclipse; 08-17-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
Thanks! this is all great advice. I cannot wait to get to the range suday! by the way...
I have heard many ways people brake in their new rifles....do you have an opinion on that?
The 300 wsm really shouldn't need a brake, but they are sometimes useful for extended renge time with a rifle.
I have a boss on my 300 win, but don't have my 300 ultra, 338win or 375 h@h braked, so it's really your show on this. There are guys here that'll help you but you may want to see what your local guy will put on first. You've got to remember a brake pisses off nearby people from the noise and will make it louder for you too, so I'd shoot the rifle first to see if it NEEDS a brake.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
The 300 wsm really shouldn't need a brake, but they are sometimes useful for extended renge time with a rifle.
I have a boss on my 300 win, but don't have my 300 ultra, 338win or 375 h@h braked, so it's really your show on this. There are guys here that'll help you but you may want to see what your local guy will put on first. You've got to remember a brake pisses off nearby people from the noise and will make it louder for you too, so I'd shoot the rifle first to see if it NEEDS a brake.
haha sorry I spelled that wrong, corrected now....I meant break-in the new rifle barrel....not....get a muzzle brake. Sorry for the confusion!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
haha sorry I spelled that wrong, corrected now....I meant break-in the new rifle barrel....not....get a muzzle brake. Sorry for the confusion!
I don't have a break-in for rifles other than don't get it filthy to start with. I've tried the shoot, clean stuff, and just shot other rifles, and it doesn't really matter. You've already got the proof round down the pipe, so shoot a couple to zero, swab it out, and start shooting.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I don't have a break-in for rifles other than don't get it filthy to start with. I've tried the shoot, clean stuff, and just shot other rifles, and it doesn't really matter. You've already got the proof round down the pipe, so shoot a couple to zero, swab it out, and start shooting.
Yep what he said.............and don't overheat it if you can help it.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Silver Member

I don't shoot factory stuff,but I really like the 165gr Hornady Interbond in mine.You might try some of their stuff.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Gold Member

Nosler 180 Accubon is what I'm using in my AR 300wsm upper.