Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

300 WSM - To brake or not to brake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 02:08 PM

300 WSM - To brake or not to brake?

I am getting ready to send an action off to get re-barreled. Heavy 28 inch barrel twisted for running the heavies loaded single shot. Can't decide if I want to add a brake or not. Opinions would be welcome.

Use would be LR practice and Hunting. Not planning on running it in competition so I won't be shooting lots of rounds in a short amount of time with it.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 WSM - To brake or not to brake?

100% yes! for me it's all about spotting my shots. I am pretty good with recoil but even my smaller 6.5's that don't need it at all I like brakes because I can shoot and see my hits down range while hunting or shooting paper.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

I've shot the WSM and SAUM w/o breaks. I prefer the break. I have had a WSM with the break and it was comfortable to sit on the bench for dozens of rounds.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Silver Member

If you've got the cash you might as well. Also do you shoot more from the bench or from prone? I only shoot laying down and I feel its much easier to obsorb and control recoil. I shoot a 338 RUM at max load without a brake. I'm not a big guy either at 175 lbs. My rifle weighs 15 pounds and I dont have issues seeing my impacts past 300 yards and I don't find the recoil uncomfortable. If I could find a cure for the shooting bug I'd send it off and have a brake put on it. But for the time being I can deal with the recoil and just keep
Old 04-12-2013, 01:48 PM

Probably shoot mostly prone off a bipod.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Gold Member

If you shoot better with a brake or want to spot your shots do it. I always shoot better with a brake so all my rifles have them. Then again I roll my own so it makes that decision easier.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCTD View Post
If you shoot better with a brake or want to spot your shots do it. I always shoot better with a brake so all my rifles have them. Then again I roll my own so it makes that decision easier.
It don't get no simpler than that ... do it and be done with it!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.