Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

300 WSM and action options, any good ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: 300 WSM and action options, any good ideas?

Ok so we have established custom is the way to go. I called stiller and the gentlemen there recommended the predator SA. He said it comes ready for a Wyatt internal mag metal so that you can load close to 3.0 COL. I am probably going to be shooting 200gr accubonds and the 205-208 (somewhere in there) Amax's.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Platinum Member

You can do that & it'll work just fine. You will probably sacrifice a little velocity but it won't be a handicap. Just make sure your 'smith knows you're rocking a S/A & heavy bullets so they can throat your bbl accordingly.

Worst case scenario, you'll end up like me & run them single shot

t

Old 04-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member

The 208 AMax has a nose of .777" and a bearing surface of .555" With a COAL of 3" and case neck of about .300", the Amax shank (bearing surface) will be seated about o.134" into the case plus the 0.175" tail. Doable but not optimal.

Why not a longer action?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 04-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Silver Member

I could be completely wrong, but I have heard LA's won't feed 300 WSM because the shoulder at too great of angle.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

There are a lot of AI cartridges with sharper shoulders that feed fine. As long as the feed rails are milled properly and a center feed mag box, i wouldn't think there should be a problem. A spacer can also be used in the mag box. I have one in my M70 22-250.

Just something to think about. The short action will work, you just loose efficiency with longer bullets.

Maybe someone with a LA WSM will chime in...

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 04-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

If you want a custom action, I hear great things about Stiller, BAT, Surgeon, etc...I don't own a custom action on any gun, but I would feel as comfortable with any of them as I would a plain-old trued and blueprinted 700 action. Sure, the aftermarket ones are stronger, might have more nice and/or custom features and stuff, which is all fine & good. But if that's what you're looking for, I don't see how you could go wrong with any of the customs.

Me, I'm happy with trued 700 actions with jeweled bolts. That's fancy and strong enough for me. My smith knows how to work them in his sleep, so I am very confident in his abilities to make them shoot equally well as a custom.

However, it's all in personal preferences, and mainly all in how fat your pocketbook is. Me, I'm a budget man, b/c I have to be, it is not an option for me to build an all-out custom on my salary. But if you can afford it, by all means, I would.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.