Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

300 Win vs 300 RUM vs 30-378 Weatherby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: 300 Win vs 300 RUM vs 30-378 Weatherby

No that is not true. The 7mm RUM gets a bad rap all the time but its no harder to load for and get good loads then any of the other RUMs. Use the right powders and use a heavy for caliber bullet and you will not have any problems at all.

I would think RL33 would be pretty damn impressive in the 7mm RUM with the 180 gr Bergers. Where most get into trouble with the 7mm RUM is that they shoot to light of a bullet. You need to use at least 160 gr bullets and heavier the better to get the best velocity spreads. If someone wants to shoot a 140 gr bullet, get an STW or Rem Mag.

Another thing people do is think they can get extreme velocity with the 7mm RUM by using the lighter weight bullets. This is true but generally, the powders that work best in the 7mm RUM DO NOT care for lighter bullets and will produce much better consistency with heavier bullets.

Plus, light weight bullets do great out to moderate ranges but past around 600 yards, there is no comparision between them and the heavy for caliber bullets. Let the bullet do the work for you, its easier on the rifle and brass!!!

Finally, one has to understand that the 7mm RUM is a very low expansion ratio chambering, as such, limit shot strings to three shots and no more without letting barrel cool and clean often.

Most of the bad press with the 7mm RUM is opinion or someone that is not using it correctly or loading for it properly.

That said, for an all around chambering, the 300 RUM is a more flexible chambering for sure. Is it a BETTER choice, depends on what you want to do with the rifle.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 Win vs 300 RUM vs 30-378 Weatherby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Very close. I do not know the exact dimensions on the 338 RCM but they have to be very close.

Wyatts makes a 3.000" extended mag box that you can install that offers enough length for the 338 WSM but with tipped bullets or match bullets, its VERY tight and you really have to pay attention to your throat design to be able to reach the lands and still fit in the mag but it can be done.

I built a browning earlier this year in a 338 WSM with a very short throat and it worked very well with the 200 and 225 gr Accubonds.
now I'm big on the good old .338-06 improved. I have the donor sitting in my safe right now, and just gotta get the time. The .338RCM fascinates me. It'll push a 225 grain bullet to a little over 2600fps with an over all length of 2.83". That's close to a .308 Winchester! But I suspect that the round is good for 2750 fps! That's .338-06AI velocity in a short action. A sure fire win win in my book
gary