Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

300 Win vs 300 RUM vs 30-378 Weatherby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 Win vs 300 RUM vs 30-378 Weatherby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Agree to disagree, no hard feelings!

Please realize that I have nothing against any of the rounds your recommending. I like them all, use them all, build rifles in all of them for customers and they all easily meet my accuracy standards and are great long range big game chamberings.

My recommendations are simply more narrowly focused toward the OPs three listed chamberings and that's all. If I were to recommend which I think would be the best 30 cal. to choose from, it would have to be my 300 Allen Xpress!!! May be a BIT biased.

No hard feelings.
Isn't the .338WSM pretty much the same as the .338RCM? The optimum over all length is going to be much longer than the .300WSM due to the bullet length alone (unless the end use pushes it way back into the shoulder area, and that's not good). The Remington 700 short action is known to be a little on the short side anyway, and one might be better off with a standard length action. Or maybe use a Savage action instead (I measure between .160" and .180" longer). Even the short Winchester is longer by about .100". Have no idea about the Browning, so won't guess.

What somebody needs to do is to make basic WSM brass in something like a 2.31" length. Then you could add about .125" to the shoulder length and finish out with a 2.284" over all length. I think the added .125" length in case capacity would make a serious improvement, but yet still fit in a standard length action. I see this as a win, win! Specially with a .338 caliber.
gary
Old 09-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
Isn't the .338WSM pretty much the same as the .338RCM? The optimum over all length is going to be much longer than the .300WSM due to the bullet length alone (unless the end use pushes it way back into the shoulder area, and that's not good). The Remington 700 short action is known to be a little on the short side anyway, and one might be better off with a standard length action. Or maybe use a Savage action instead (I measure between .160" and .180" longer). Even the short Winchester is longer by about .100". Have no idea about the Browning, so won't guess.

What somebody needs to do is to make basic WSM brass in something like a 2.31" length. Then you could add about .125" to the shoulder length and finish out with a 2.284" over all length. I think the added .125" length in case capacity would make a serious improvement, but yet still fit in a standard length action. I see this as a win, win! Specially with a .338 caliber.
gary
The 300 WSM and 300 Dakota are both based of the 404 Jeff (as well as the 300 RUM. I have case for all 3). The WSM has a 2.100 overall length and the Dakota is 2.550. It has a couple more grains capacity than the 300 WBY and I .275" shorter. The Dakota is about as long as you can get into a standard action with long high BC bullets without seating them back into the case.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Here's a plug for what can be done with a Sendero 300 RUM

Impressed with the sendero results

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-09-2013, 01:53 PM

I hunt mostly deer here in ND, but want a long range rifle to use on elk, moose and antelope. Maybe the 300wsm would be a better choice or a 7mm or a 6.5. What would you guys think? I am starting to reload so this may be a plus, for maybe even a wildcat. Also, the salesman at one gun shop said I would need to install a muzzle breai on a 300RUM, I have never been recoil shy, don't know if I would want the added noise. I shoot a 300 win with a 24" barrel in a Remington 700LSS with no problem from the bench. Hope this gives you some more information to help with you recommendations. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhntr71 View Post
I hunt mostly deer here in ND, but want a long range rifle to use on elk, moose and antelope. Maybe the 300wsm would be a better choice or a 7mm or a 6.5. What would you guys think? I am starting to reload so this may be a plus, for maybe even a wildcat. Also, the salesman at one gun shop said I would need to install a muzzle breai on a 300RUM, I have never been recoil shy, don't know if I would want the added noise. I shoot a 300 win with a 24" barrel in a Remington 700LSS with no problem from the bench. Hope this gives you some more information to help with you recommendations. Thanks.
You could certainly go with a 300 WSM, but I would not buy a factory one because it will be on a short action. I shot a 300 RUM Sendero without a brake and I used a slip on recoil pad which worked fine. Don't really need it in the field. I actually got used to shooting without the slip on pad. I've sold that rifle and had another built and it is wearing a muzzle brake. It makes the shooting much more enjoyable and helps you get back on target much quicker.

You will loose aout 200-400 fps of velocity with the same bullet between the WSM and RUM which means you will loose that much in range. With most loads, the 300 WSM comes up just shy of 1800 fps @ 1K. With a load of RL17 and 215 hybrids, you can easily get past 1K. But like I said, the factory short actions will limit your options a lot in the WSM.

As for a 7mm or 6.5, they are great deer cartridges, but IMO the 30 cals are better for elk. You can certainly kill an elk with a 7 or 6.5 but you better the odds with a 30. Bigger bullets make bigger holes.

It all depends on your priorities.

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby, for whatever is worth I still enjoy a bunch reading your posts and always learning from you and everyone else. I love it when an discussion ends like this one did!

I still would love to get one of your master pieces and one from Shawn Carlock... unfortunately times are not getting any better

Interesting thread!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Gold Member

Nothing wrong with the 300 wm you have. I don't understand why anyone would want a 300wsm when the 300 rum is so much more impressive!! Ya barrel life whatever... That's why we have smiths and barrel manufactures.. Take care of the barrel and it'll last ya a good long while.

Hands down +1 for the 300 rum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhntr71 View Post

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html