Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

300 win mag vs 300 ultramag Remington SPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Silver Member

300 win mag vs 300 ultramag Remington SPS

I have the choice to get a replacement gun from Remington. The model will be SPS stainless 26" barrel. Would you go with a 300 win mag or a 300 ultramag? As of right now I plan on putting it in a XLR Industries chasis.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 win mag vs 300 ultramag Remington SPS

If you want to get any sort of barrel life out of your gun, go with the .300 WinMag.

If you are pounding elk or moose beyond 1,000 yards, then the .300 Ultra.

But if this is mostly a target rifle doing some hunting on the side, and you plan on shooting it a bunch, go with the .300 WinMag.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
If you want to get any sort of barrel life out of your gun, go with the .300 WinMag.

If you are pounding elk or moose beyond 1,000 yards, then the .300 Ultra.

But if this is mostly a target rifle doing some hunting on the side, and you plan on shooting it a bunch, go with the .300 WinMag.
The 300 rum isn't any more overbore than the 7stw is Muddy.
I've got hundreds of runds down my 300rum lh bdl and the bore looks new and shoots as well as when I got it. The 300rum is spendier to load but you can load it down to 300win ballistics easily. You can't load up a 300win to 300rum levels. It is more of a can you take the recoil thing here but a good muzzle brake kills that problem. I like the 300win and shoot the heck out of it, but the rum is a bit better performer than the 300win.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

I would get the win mag.

I wouldnt dare shoot my 300 rum if it didnt have a 5c barrel and muzzle break. Otherwise it pounds the crap out of me. Im not that tough.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
The 300 rum isn't any more overbore than the 7stw is Muddy.
I've got hundreds of runds down my 300rum lh bdl and the bore looks new and shoots as well as when I got it. The 300rum is spendier to load but you can load it down to 300win ballistics easily. You can't load up a 300win to 300rum levels. It is more of a can you take the recoil thing here but a good muzzle brake kills that problem. I like the 300win and shoot the heck out of it, but the rum is a bit better performer than the 300win.
I never said it wasn't comparable barrel life to the STW...I knew what I was getting into nearly 12 years ago when I got my STW...And knowing that, I don't shoot the crap out of it like I do my other calibers, like my .308 Win. I was just making sure he was aware what he would be getting into by going with the RUM.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 10-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

with the 230 bergers, I'm starting to think that the 300 RUM is possibly the most versatile hard hitter out there (even more practical than the big .338's... maybe).
My brother in law uses my old one to kill a lot of stuff.

If your shooting targets a TON drop down to a .308 win. if its for hunting 300 RUM!
Old 10-31-2013, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member

I definitely agree...If you're shooting alot, and insist on a .30 caliber.....Go with the .308 Win with a heavy barrel. It will last damn-near forever.

Quote: