Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

300 win mag recoil? How many shots?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Silver Member

Re: 300 win mag recoil? How many shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
To 1/2 moa long range hunting standards, 1500 plus easy. I ordered another Broghton 5C a week ago. I asked Tim North of Broughton Barrels when I should expect my existing tube to go. I will not even post what he told me. But it was way way more than some imply, including myself. Don't take my word for it, call him and ask. I would say he probably has as much first hand experience with a 300 win barrel than anyone I know.

Jeff
I have no reason to doubt Broughton, but my barrels have never lived as long as they claim.

I have to put that down to my impatience (I do clean carefully and with the best of equipment), but every once in a while when shooting at steel my horns come out?

Ringing steel is like crack for the soul!
Can't....help...myself!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
To 1/2 moa long range hunting standards, 1500 plus easy. I ordered another Broghton 5C a week ago. I asked Tim North of Broughton Barrels when I should expect my existing tube to go. I will not even post what he told me. But it was way way more than some imply, including myself.
I don't think any 30 caliber magnum barrel will shoot no worse than 5 inches at 1000 yards for even 400 shots. For anyone to claim 1500 plus would require a stretch beyond the breaking point for my mind to agree with.

The most accurate benchrest barrels shoot 7 or so inches at 1000 yards. I'm talking about the group size all their aimed shots will go into in the best conditions, not those rare 5-shot ones well under 2 inches that happen maybe once in a barrel's lifetime.

Broz, are you not posting the Broughton barrel life quoted 'cause you think Tim North will tell your Mommy on you?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

I do not shoot 5 or 10 shot groups. I am no bench rest shooter I am a hunter and why I quoted long range hunting accuracy. I can tell you this, the 300 win I shoot now is the most accurate I have owned with 215 Bergers. I am approaching 1000 rounds and it will indeed shoot 1/2 moa on average. I have not changed seating depth, with either the 210 load I started with or the copied seating depth of the 215 load. In good conditions a shot outside 1/2 moa from point of aim is rare with good dope.

Bart, I will kindly ask you to use respect when addressing my mother. She has long past and she deserves it.

Jeff