Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

300 win mag muzzle break

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Silver Member

300 win mag muzzle break

Greetings,

Let me start by saying I have heard many times that if you need a break you need a different rifle.
Well, I have a Remington 300 win mag, shooting 180 gr handloads very well except for after the 4th-5th round the flinches start. I have replaced the plastic stock with an older thumbhole which helped noticably.

My questions is: What type of recoil suppression is available in the way of muzzle breaks? And is there any product avaible that isnt SO DANG LOUD!

I have shot a 300 with a break, very managable except for the ear part. I have resisted putting a break on because of the excess noise and blast.

Or do I just need to cowboy up and shoot it?

At 6'2" and 170lbs it is kind of punishing, my father is 6' and about 285 and it does not bother him a bit, but short of gaining 100 lbs what else can I do?

Thanks and great forum here.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 300 win mag muzzle break

Welcome to the forum! Great place and a lot of knowleable people. I have a 300 win mag being built as we speak. I am having a removeable muzzle break installed so I can decide under what circumstances to use the break. ou might want to consider that. Just a thought. Good luck....
Old 11-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Regardless of muzzle brake you install, it is going to be loud, unless you go with a suppressor which are very bulky and pricey ... + you'll have to pay extra license for owning one.

There are plenty of effective muzzle brakes and hearing protection in the market.

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member

Here is the JP brake I use on my 300 win and love.
JP - Compensators - Bennie Cooley Signature Series

I feel it is not as loud as some. I do not wear hearing protection in the field, but probably should. But then we all should while shooting any rifle braked or not right?

I think a lot of the bad press came from the early design radial brakes. Like the Vais. That brake is the rudest brake I have ever shot behind. Loud, and a wave of felt percussion along with a huge dirt cloud while prone. The newer side discharge brakes are much better.

Jeff
Old 11-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Gold Member

Recoil is subjective. My hunting partner and my wife are both heavier than I am but both feel the 270 is a lot of recoil, they both enjoy shooting my 338 edge with a brake. I think the 338 win hardly kicks. Just a different perspective regardless of weight. The walkers game ear costs about $130 and should be considered in the pros and cons of putting a brake on. On the pro side......they both have trouble shooting any cartridges above a 270 without a brake but have no trouble even with heavy loaded magnums with the brake. My wife could not hold a 12" group at 400yrds with a 270 until we put a brake on it. With a brake 4" easy. She can bust a 2" pebble at 750yrds with my edge shooting 300grainers. If recoil and or flinch is an issue and you want to continue to shoot a heavy caliber..........Don't fight it, just put a brake on it and invest in a game ear.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Check this out >>> Interesting suppressors

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Bronze Member

I have a Browning X-Bolt 300 WM Stainless Stalker that kicks like a mule. If I'm shooting more than 12 or 15 rounds from the bench, I use a Past Pad. Yeah, I'm a whoosie. I've taken several deer with mine and never remember feeling the recoil. I'll take a bit of recoil over the noise that a muzzle break creates anytime.