Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

.300 Win Mag Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 07:48 PM
Silver Member

.300 Win Mag Advice

Looking to pick up a .300 WM strictly for hunting.
Any suggestions?

Thnx

MDslammer
Old 03-14-2014, 05:22 AM
Gold Member

Re: .300 Win Mag Advice

What are you hunting? If its deer ive shot MANY wiht the 165 ballistic tip out of my 300 win. Shot quite a few with 180 cup and core bullets too and they left nothing to be desired. I use 165s mostly in my win mag because thats what it shoots the best. Just dont by into the croud that says you need a premium bullet. For deer sized game the cup and core bullets are the premium bullet.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:12 AM
Silver Member

Big game in general. Thanks for the bullet info.

I'm inquiring about:
Barrel length
Blued or Stainless Steel Barrel
Is a break necessary
Wooden or Synthetic stock
Weight considerations
External Magazine pros/cons
3 +1 or 4 + 1 capacity
Barrel Twist Rate
Old 03-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Silver Member

I've got 2 300wm rifles. One is a sendero with a 6-20 leupold on it.It shoots spooky good but is heavy as hell.
The other is a tikka t3.It is really light and wears a Nikon 5-20 with the BDC reticle.It shoots awesome with almost any ammo.I really like having the detachable magazine.
It really just depends on your style of hunting. If you are truck based ,it's pretty hard to beat the sendero. But if you plan on moving around the lighter rifle sure is nice.
Also if you load your own ammo you can make almost any modern rifle sing a sweet song.The deer really hate when that happens.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger11 View Post
I've got 2 300wm rifles. One is a sendero with a 6-20 leupold on it.It shoots spooky good but is heavy as hell.
The other is a tikka t3.It is really light and wears a Nikon 5-20 with the BDC reticle.It shoots awesome with almost any ammo.I really like having the detachable magazine.
It really just depends on your style of hunting. If you are truck based ,it's pretty hard to beat the sendero. But if you plan on moving around the lighter rifle sure is nice.
Also if you load your own ammo you can make almost any modern rifle sing a sweet song.The deer really hate when that happens.
Thanks digger11. Good advice. I was checking out the Sendero actually. But as you
mentioned, it weighs 15 lbs. I believe. Tempting, but then again, carrying around that much weight needs to be taken into consideration.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:38 PM
Silver Member

Not sure where you got 15lbs, but that is a heavy estimate for a Sendero. I shoot the 300 Win Mag and have a Vortex Viper PST 6x24 on it, and it comes in at about 11lbs, maybe a little under. I swapped out the stock which shaved a half pound, maybe a little more. The gun is heavy yes, but I lug that thing with me on all my alpine hunts. It is worth it to me, especially if you are in areas that you are going to be presented with longer shots. If you go with the a Tikka, no doubt they are great guns, but with the 300wm round, be prepared to get your ass beat by that recoil. If it were me, and really wanted a light weight rifle, and liked Tikka's, im going with a 270.

As far as production rifles go, I love the Sendero. Like I mentioned above I swapped the HS stock for the McMillan Game Scout. Shave a little weight and doesnt have that massive palm swell and wide forend like the HS has. I shoot 180 gr soft tips, but that may change when/if I start hand loading.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearDog View Post
Not sure where you got 15lbs, but that is a heavy estimate for a Sendero. I shoot the 300 Win Mag and have a Vortex Viper PST 6x24 on it, and it comes in at about 11lbs, maybe a little under. I swapped out the stock which shaved a half pound, maybe a little more. The gun is heavy yes, but I lug that thing with me on all my alpine hunts. It is worth it to me, especially if you are in areas that you are going to be presented with longer shots. If you go with the a Tikka, no doubt they are great guns, but with the 300wm round, be prepared to get your ass beat by that recoil. If it were me, and really wanted a light weight rifle, and liked Tikka's, im going with a 270.

As far as production rifles go, I love the Sendero. Like I mentioned above I swapped the HS stock for the McMillan Game Scout. Shave a little weight and doesnt have that massive palm swell and wide forend like the HS has. I shoot 180 gr soft tips, but that may change when/if I start hand loading.
Hey BearDog, I'm a pinhead. I got the weight wrong. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Say's it weights 8.5 lbs. YES!

Don't know where I got 15 lbs. unless I was looking at an overall shipping weight. In any event, I appreciate the correction. I will do more research on the Sendero.

Question: Does the recoil warrant considering putting on a break or not? I'm a relatively big guy / 250 lbs.

Thanks again.
MDslammer