Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

300 win mag or 7 WSM for LR elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 01:46 AM
Silver Member

300 win mag or 7 WSM for LR elk

I just got a Savage 110 LA (just action and bolt) for a pretty good price and was wondering what barrel to screw on to it. It will be a carry gun for elk out to 1000 yards. The barrel will be a savage varmit contour and it will be 28" for the 300WM or 26" for the 7WSM. I will be using berger 180gr in the 7wsm and berger 210 or 215gr ing the 300wm.

I have had several 300 win mags so I know how they do on elk out to 1053 yards, and of course read BROZ info on them as well. I have not been able to find much on the 7WSM except over on accurate shooter. Does anyone have any info for performance on the 7wsm at long range on elk? Which would you choose and why?

Thanks a bunch

Mike
Old 04-05-2013, 02:25 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 win mag or 7 WSM for LR elk

The 300 win-mostly cause I'm like those kids on the commercial-Which is better more or less? Using comparable bullets as your doing, in basically the same rifle configuration the question in my mind is do you keep on with what you say has been reliable for you, or try something new.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member

7mmSTW.....It was designed for long range big game hunting, and does so with extreme prejudice with some hot handloads, and 160 Accubonds, 168 Berger VLD's, or 180 Berger VLD's.

If you do go this route, I can hook you up with some load info for all of the above.

For Elk, the 168 VLD's will probably be your best bet, with minumum meat damage.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

The release of the 195 Bergers might be a game changer. But with the selection of current bullets available, the 300 win is the best choice for 1000 yard elk. Not that the 7 won't do it, but why not hit em with more lead, energy and less drift.

Jeff
Old 04-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
The 300 win-mostly cause I'm like those kids on the commercial-Which is better more or less? ......
^^^ That good stuff right there, I needed a laugh this morning. I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
The release of the 195 Bergers might be a game changer. But with the selection of current bullets available, the 300 win is the best choice for 1000 yard elk. Not that the 7 won't do it, but why not hit em with more lead, energy and less drift.

Jeff

Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Which bolt face and feed rails do you have? That might help you narrow it down. If its set up for the 300WM, can the style of bolt you have be modified or changed (I don't know much about the savage action) to accept the WSM case? How about the feed rails?

If you already have a standard magnum face, have you considered a 7mm Rem mag? Or STW?

Either way, I'd choose the 300. Heavier bullets + bigger hole. That said, either would get it done.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
Which bolt face and feed rails do you have? That might help you narrow it down. If its set up for the 300WM, can the style of bolt you have be modified or changed (I don't know much about the savage action) to accept the WSM case? How about the feed rails?

Either way, I'd choose the 300. Heavier bullets + bigger hole. That said, either would get it done.

That is one of the cool factors of the Savage, push out retaining pin, pull off the bolt head, insert the new head & put the pin back in. Very easy to change. The feed rails might be an issue, I didn't consider that.

t