Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

300 Win Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Silver Member

300 Win Mag

Well it is far beyond time for me to get serious about something with increased horsepower over the standard cartridges I have been shooting for a lot of years. I am thinking hard about a 300 WM for a few reasons. Recoil is the biggest issue for me, my right shoulder is in less than perfect condition and I am trying at all costs to avoid going under the knife. I do not want to go the muzzlebreak route on something with more power like a 300 ultra or 338 ultra even though they would provide better trajectories and more power further out I am just not a fan of breaks and neither is my gun club. One of my friends has one in one of the 700 SPS Stainless with the R3 pad on it. Not the best rifle on the market but it works for him. I can shoot that rifle off the bench without too many problems but it is just about at my limit before I am feeling pain and flinching.

Yes I have a bit of a pickle going on here! I want more power and range without using a muzzle break and not doing more damage to my shoulder. I am thinking along the lines of the Berger 210 VLD. Berger lists the BC at .631 so if a guy could get 2900 or better out of the Berger it should shoot pretty well out to about 800 yards or so? The game would be deer both whitetails and mule and Elk when I am lucky enough to get a tag.

I know there are shooters here with a lot of experience with the 300 Win and perhaps if you fellow shooters could give me some advice or just what you have experienced with the 300 Win on the range and in the field I can perhaps decide on a platform and bullet powder combo to do what I would like to be able to do.

Thanks in advance
Hype
Old 12-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 Win Mag

I like a 300 win and use one quite often. I highly recomend a brake, especialy with a bad shoulder and it is much easier to shoot accurately at long range when a rifle is not beating you up. The loadness is the usuall reason that I hear, but I shoot and hunt with ear protection so that is a non issue and a longer barrel will get the noise farther away should you forget the ear protection
Old 12-05-2008, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

hypersonic,
In my honest, humble opinion the .300WM is a good choice for a LR round. It has the bullet selection, case capacity, brass and ballistic info readily availability, very accurate (even with a less than caliber length (.308") neck) and right at the threshold for recoil and pain without a muzzle break.
I had a Sendero in .300WM (1st generation) about 5ys ago, it was accurate but kicked the snot outta me. My Dad and I noticed the subtle effects this was having on my accuracy, so I traded it for a heavy barrel .243 Win and "started over". I actually had another Sendero, at the same time, in 7mm Mag and was very comfortable with it. I pretty much wrote the .300 off and figured the 7mmMag was my limit.
I found a Savage 112 BVSS a few months ago in .300WM and had to have it. It is the single shot (no magazine) model with the heavy laminated stock and 26" stainless fluted barrel. With the 6.5-20X40 Leupold I have mounted it weighs close to 11lbs. This rifle is too heavy for some "men" (I use the term lightly) but it shoots like a dream. I have only tried a few 165/180gn Ballistic Tips (left from previous .300) but it shoots them fast into .3" groups @ 100yds. I'm getting 3296fps from the 165's and 3154fps from the 180's using H4350, CCI BR2's (165) and 9.5M's (180). This concerned me to start with as this is faster than Nosler's #5 & 6 say it's supposed to be with this powder. After testing some 175gn FMJ's, I think this rifle (chamber/barrel) is tighter and produces superior velocities or the powder is a hot lot. I worked all these loads from the bottom up looking for pressure signs, so I feel they are safe in THIS rifle.
Anyway, I'm back in the .300WM game. I'm gonna get another scope and trigger for this rifle and start stretching it out to 600yds (at least). After Christmas I'm gonna try some Bergers, AccuBonds and maybe some Scirocco's, along with some slower powders. RL22, IMR7828, H1000, RL25 and Retumbo come to mind. Good luck in your decision. JohnnyK.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

FWIW,

I'm using a 300 Win Mag with a 26" Varmint contour McGowan barrel 1:10 with a Savage 110. Gun isn't heavy by any means.

It likes the following loads with 210 Bergers.

75.7 gr of H-1000 and Federal Gm-215 primers. 2860 fps.
76.2 gr of Retumbo and Federal Gm-215 primers. 2900 fps.

H-1000 has slightly better accuracy, very slightly. Anything hotter than those loads and the groups open back up but I still had no pressure signs. Had the Retumbo going 2960 fps with one load.

The gun really likes these bullets. It took a while to get these loads figured out, mostly with seating depth. I'm right on the lands at 3.575" OAL. It certainly comes out to greet you but doesn't buck as hard as my 7 mag. I'm good for about 50-60 rounds if I am not rapid firing like I used to.

Don't know if this helps you or not but I am very pleased with this setup.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Gold Member

I shoot a 300WM Sendero, I stuck with 200 SMK and Accubonds (running just shy of 3000 fps on the SMK, 2945 on the Accubonds). I had no issues taking an elk at almost 700 yds this year. I'm not sure I'd consider it a damaged shoulder-friendly round but the next best alternative is probably a 7mm mag or variant and they may not be much better.

I really like the 300WM, it hits hard and has been very manageable for me.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Silver Member

Not to take over the thread but ATH, what brass, primer, powder, powder charge, are you using to get 3K out of a 200 gr SMK?? Also how many firings are you getting out of 1 set of brass. Thanks

A 20 inch barrel on a 338 lapua is more of a flame thrower. -Longshot38
Old 12-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the replys guys! kind of information I was looking for. Thinking about it some more today at work and a rilfe a couple of pounds heavier than my bud's SPS with a limbsaver on it should be ok for me for bench work and in the field. If the setup went 10-11 pounds tricked out that would not be too bad for me to carry with a good wide padded sling. I won't carry this rifle in the mountians as I have a couple of light rifles for that hunting. This one will be for clearcuts, grain fields and similar type hunting. Time to start looking around a little bit to see what I can find in 300WM. Once again thanks for the info and replys it really does help.

Hype