Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

300 wby ultralight been a real pain....any ideas??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Silver Member
Re: 300 wby ultralight been a real pain....any ideas??

thanks for the responses. Believe it or not the rubber stips may have had a positive effect on the situation. I got a couple of nice 2-2.25" (200yd) groups with nos partitions with both re25 and i7828. I'm going to duplicate those loads and try it out again. I think this barrel is VERY FUSSY about pressure points from reading others experiences and doing my own experiments. I also am taking the advice of watching for the consistancy of the first two shots and then seeing where the 3rd goes as the barrel heats up. A couple of weeks ago I was shooting in 45 degree weather here in Wisconsin and now it's 65 so I'm running out of "prime testing" weather.
If anyone else has ideas...even the vote to sell it which is what a buddy of mine told me to do.....I'll listen!!!

Unread 04-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Bronze Member

I have a 2005 weatherby ultra lightweight in 300 weatherby and I get .75" average 3 shot groups (less when from a cool barrel and a bit more with a warm barrel) problems
Unread 04-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Bronze Member

I had a problem with my 300 wby Accumark not shooting at all. For the price I paid for this gun with a Zeiss scope Near base and Leupy Mark 4 ring, saying the least this was really ******* me off! Tried allot of different bullets, powders and lengths still would not shoot!! I sent it to weatherby and they said my receive was to soft and out of aligned with barrel! They sent me a brand new gun and this thing REALLY shoots!!! I am using 81.5gr H4831 180TSX and Fed 215gm primers with to OAL of 3.725 Hope this helps I wouldnt do anything to the gun just send it back to weatherby, I must say they have very good customer service!!
338 EDGE (Custom)
300win (Custom)
6MMAI Custom
6mmbr (Custom Savage) X2
Unread 09-09-2011, 08:49 PM

Hi, I purchased my 300ULW right after they were introduced. The first Weatherby I bought was the 300 Alaskan. I never got to work with it alot when the ULW came out and I had to have one. When I started to shoot it I used factory ammo and results were ok, but then weatherby started loading 180gr barnes x. I have found these loads very accurate, 2 touching and the third would always be a flyer, the classic hot barrel syndrome (I presume). I installed a Leupold 4.5-14x50mm LRT VXlll scope. With the gun being so light , I would leave the range with purple shoulder and once a magnum eyebrow! I had a muzzlebrake put on and that tamed the beast alot, if you don't mind ringing ears and pressure waves. Some guys seem to have had alot of luck removing the forend pressure and bedding the action. As long as mine shoots as good as it does ( including a 600yd+ trophy sheep) , I think I will leave the bedding alone. My gun has filled the deepfreeze for many years and I would never buy anything but a Weatherby, Good Luck!
Unread 09-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member

Sometimes the bear eats you. First decide what is your minimum expectation of a hunting rifle. If your first shot is always there, and your second close by-this rifle may meet your expectations.
How many different bullets have you tried? How much free bore are you dealing with?
Life is short-components expensive, can't say if I'd bail out at this point, but I'd have a hand on the ejection lever.