Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

300 wby ultralight been a real pain....any ideas??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Silver Member

300 wby ultralight been a real pain....any ideas??

Anyone have experience with the gray stocked weatherby Ultralight in 300 wby? Its one of the first ones that were made in the U.S. about 8 years ago. I know of about 4 others in our small town and none of them shot and have been sold off or sent to the closet corner to collect dust. I'm not a gunsmith but my local guy is good and he's lapped and re-crowned the barrel and worked in the bolt lugs.
No matter what I feed this gun it does consistant 5 shot groups of about 5" at 200 yds. (no distinctive patterns like stringing.) I should have sent it back to weatherby right away but I had some scope issues and blamed the problem on that. I have several scopes on it, it's been in and out of the action a few times and properly torqued, the scope mounts are not the problem. ANY ideas would be appreciated.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:02 AM
Silver Member

Re: 300 wby ultralight been a real pain....any ideas??

OK--I just tried something on a whim and you guys will probably laugh. Have you ever seen the soft rubber mesh that's to be used to line kithen drawers to keep things from sliding? I just cut a couple of strips and laid them in the barrel channel to create somewhat of a snug fit from the begining of the barrel to the end of the stock. I put it back together and there's no more "flexing" of the stock. I suppose this is stupid but I'll bet it doesn't shoot any worse. I also changed scopes one more time to a Leo that's been great on every gun I own. I also went through my ammo and changed all seating depths about .050" deeper.
Will give all this a try....any other experiences or suggestions please??
Old 04-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

With the few ultra light barreled guns I've fooled with two of them wanted pressure at the tip.With these I machined a piece of 1/2" diameter super hard plastic with a 60deg V cut in it for the barrel to rest in. I then drilled a hole into the barrel chanel for the plastic to sit in .I started off with the plastic just touching the bottom of the barrel then added shims to the bottom of the hole to rais the bedding block .015" at a time , I ended up with .045" under it and that what the gun liked I then epoxied the block in place and the gun now shoots decient.
you can try by adding buisness cards uner the barrel at the stock tip and see if it helps settle the groups down some.
Also make sure that you have a good bedding in the stock for the action to sit in.

Also I have heard that having the barrels cryogenicaly treated has helped with sme guns with cheaper (ie) factory barrels
Worst case have it rebarreled
Old 04-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Gold Member

kraky1,
I have a lghtwght in .257 caliber. I too had problems with the rifle as it was from the factory. I re-bed the rifle action with that factory pressure point REMOVED.
I then added shims until the rifle shot great. I measured the
shims, clayed the barrel flutes and installed a pressure point equal to the shim thickness. It shoots great now.

I DO NOT any 5 shot groups, Its unrealistic with that lightweight barrel (#2mod) to expect a decent group with 5 shots down it. As long as the 1st and 2nd are on top of each other with the 3rd just outside why would you need anything more. You'll have to go to a heavier barrel if you want to punch down 5 shot groups(the Accumark).
I did the same setup on my Lazermark .257 Weatherby. Both of these rifles shot better after 150+ rounds down the tube. My lightweight had terrible fouling problem too.

Weatherby's do like the top of the chart handloads for accuracy and a good pressure point. Try a few things and put some time at the range and all of a sudden someone at the range will want to buy your Weatherby 'cause it shoot so good. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:11 PM

Sounds like the press. point was removed-something I myself mistakenly did-and got the same results.I full length
bedded up to the press. point tabs, and started shimming until the groups changed dramaticly- down to .65-.75" from 1 1/2-2"@ 100-usually with 2 in one hole or very close to it, and the third a bit high at either 10 or 2 O'clock, which I attribute to change in barrel temp. I contacted Weatherby about the pressure point- it varies between 5 1/2 to 8 1/2 lbs. Mine(.270 Wea mag) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] liked 6 1/2 lbs- barrel/action in place,
with the barrel seated in v-notch(at the tip), I hung weight
from the fore end swivel mount, then matched the separation with shims, clayed the flutes and epoxied a 1 1/4" pressure
point at same.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have experience with the gray stocked weatherby Ultralight in 300 wby? Its one of the first ones that were made in the U.S. about 8 years ago. I know of about 4 others in our small town and none of them shot and have been sold off or sent to the closet corner to collect dust. I'm not a gunsmith but my local guy is good and he's lapped and re-crowned the barrel and worked in the bolt lugs.
No matter what I feed this gun it does consistant 5 shot groups of about 5" at 200 yds. (no distinctive patterns like stringing.) I should have sent it back to weatherby right away but I had some scope issues and blamed the problem on that. I have several scopes on it, it's been in and out of the action a few times and properly torqued, the scope mounts are not the problem. ANY ideas would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup one idea...SELL IT!!!!

I am not being a wise ***** at all. It is the only caliber in the SBGM's and ULights that will not shoot worth a crap. I have never ever seen one shoot in that caliber and rifle configuration, nor ever heard of one. I have played with some of these and no dice!!!!
Old 04-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Silver Member

I have one of those .300Wby Ultralightweights,

I had problems with the extractor slipping off fired cases, just posted my problems on "Montana Actions thread".

The accuracey of my rifle is acceptable after finding the right load.

Nomra MRP powder (substiute Reloder22 if you can't get MRP)- 84.5gr with 180 Barnes TSX or 200 Nosler Accubond. Both bullet with this powder charge give me approx, 5/8" groups at 100 yards.

I might mention that the rifle sits on its original integral aluminum bedding (stock is molded around aluminum insert). No bedding of anykind done. Rifle does have the original pressure point at the forearm. Mine is approx. 14lbs (I put the barrel on a grocery scale and pulled down on the forearm until I could see the forearm lift away from barrel surface. Not the best way to do it but is quick and dirty. Fixtureing the rifle and hanging weights as mentioned above is much better way to go, as you can have your hands free to take measurements. Since each rifle is different, experimental shimming is the way to go. I have tried shimming under barrel with piece of bicycle tubing and it worked great for a .243, but not for a .257 or .300Wby. Need harder mat'l for Magnums.

Hope this helps a little,
Regards,
Vic
P.S. Just had my .257wby Ultralight rebarreled. New barrel is thicker, free floated, no freebore and I am just getting ready to test it out tonight. It may be a couple of weeks before I have everything worked out and a report ready. Also, if all fails, your barrel should be ready to replace after 1,000 rounds, so keep testing, you'll be there before you know it, just like I was.