Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

.300 Varminter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: .300 Varminter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopeshunter View Post
Well isn't that interesting. Never heard that. Wonder what the story was?

Wonder why he didn't post it for sale here
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wildcats little girl had some health problems about the time he finished up the rifle -i think he did offer to sell it to someone onboard here.

Buckturd - i like to knock the everloving crap out of coyotes too ,if i don't get a solid hit -i like to see pieces fly off the edge.
A 260 bt would flatten a big coyote for sure -i want to shoot some of the really big ones.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckturd View Post
Its a barrel burner for sure but the way I see it if I hit a coyote every 3 shots and I can get 1200 rounds through it, well that will be the best 500 bucks i ever spent.
Paste some coyotes with it. And then post some pics.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol mike View Post
Wildcats little girl had some health problems about the time he finished up the rifle -i think he did offer to sell it to someone onboard here.
Hope all is well with his daughter.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

James

The 300 Varminter can be built on any action. It is really no different than any of the other highly touted wildcats routinely talked about here with zero safety concerns stated. Only major difference I see is that Franklin does not recommend highly temp sensitive surplus powders, which for some ungodly reason has been accepted as a "safe practice" for newbies to load here only. Franklin stated that with the 700 action he was only running them 3800, he was getting 4000 fps in the custom actions.

Simple word of caution before you go quoting supposed pressure issues on the internet Quickload projections (by individuals that had a vested interest in a certain outcome) that supposedly projected wild pressures. NO ONE here had the chamber and oal specs so at best, they "guessed" or relied on the QL default settings. QL has many internal settings that you can change that will significantly change the outcomes that cannot be seen on the final sheet. We do not know what settings were used or changed. My QL projections with default setttings were different to say the least. I can change seating depth by .100 and drop another bunch. Besides it is all not relevant with that combination as setup because QL is not configured to compute that.

I recently spent about 1-2 hours talking pressures, barrel twists with the Hornady techs at a match. They agreed that the super slow twists such as the 1-17 will radically lower your pressure curves. QL has no provision for taking that into effect and the QL reps say that QL is only built on the industry norms they collected for their data. No one can say that a 300 WSM with a 1-17 twist, zero freebore is anywhere close to the standard data. No that means that we know for a fact that the varminter IS NOT just the standard WSM loaded to stupid pressures. Anyone who says that is making assumptions on things that they do not know.

Based on the multiple reports of guys getting similar/close results in their guns, maybe we had a bunch of wailing and moaning about nothing real or are they totally unsafe or lieing too?

However, with any wildcat or top end cartridge, guns and chambers will vary, Lot to lot powder variations and primer changes require that the reloader proceed with caution and work up loads for their particular gun and not rely on someone elses data, in particular that is at top end!

by the way, www.6mmbr.com just ran another article on that terrible overpressure (not) inaccurate 300 varminter and shooting ground hogs at 1005 yards in their 24 Sep 08 blog and articles.

BH

Last edited by BountyHunter; 09-24-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:27 AM

Name:  f.bmp
Views: 0
Size:  900.1 KB

Name:  h.bmp

Name:  hd.bmp

Name:  untitled.bmp

[attach]34562[/atta
I joined this forum just because there has been soooo many mixed opinions on this ".300 varminter", maybe yall can give me some tips.

I just recieved mine from my gunsmith and thought i would share what i have done with it:

first the rifle- bell and carlson tactical stock, hart br1000 1-15" finished at 30" with 10 flutes, remington 700 stainless SA lapped and trued, zeiss hd5 5-25x50, 300 wsm match .337 neck. (i havnt taken any pictures of it yet but if someone is interested i will..)

The only powder i have used so far is varget, from 63 to 66.5 grains.

bullets im using are nosler BT 125gr spitzer.

primers are winchester large rifle magnum

im using winchester brass.

i have been reloading for about 10 years now, however, this is the first custom rifle i have had built. but something that is kind of different to me is that for the most part 63 to 66.5 grains of powder all had very very simular group sizes.

As for all of the mixed opinions, i can tell you that in MY rifle, with 66.5 grains of varget i get a sticky bolt. this charge gives me 3879 average velocity.
i backed the load down and settled with 66 grains, this gives me (imo) great accuracy and 3780 velocity. I havent tried any other powder or bullets, but am open to suggestions.

I have lurked around this forum for quite some time now and have read all of the contraversy about this topic, I was going for a 4000 fps 125 gr bullet but honestly i dont see it happening with my particular rifle.

just thought i would share my un biased experience with you all to maybe shed some new light on this....
here are pics of the groups i shot during load development:

ch]
Attached Images
File Type: bmp w.bmp (900.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by justincase; 05-06-2014 at 11:29 AM. Reason: insert text
Old 05-06-2014, 11:34 AM

Im not very good at posting pictures i guess.......
Old 11-12-2014, 02:26 PM

Bump. Thoughts? Comments? Critiques?