close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Reply

.300 RUM twist rate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Unread 09-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,927
Re: .300 RUM twist rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh5k View Post
Building a .300 RUM and going to order a barrel soon. It will be more of a BR/Truck gun and will be 30" long. Contemplating twist rate through, 1:10 or 1:11. Wanted to shoot 180-210 grain bullets, need to see what shoots best. What are your thoughts on the twist rate?
The 1 in 10 is the standard twist rate because it will shoot any weight bullet in .308 dia.

Slower twist rates will work but depending on velocity may not stabilize heaver bullets
as well.

If you are going to shoot 180grain or less at near max loads in the RUM the 1 in 11 will work.

J E CUSTOM
__________________
"PRESS ON"
Reply With Quote
  •   #9  
    Unread 09-27-2010, 07:56 AM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: Montana
    Posts: 2,594
    Re: .300 RUM twist rate

    I run a 10 twist in my 30 cal. If I were doing it again I would run a 9 twist in order to handle the high bc bullets that are available currently and in the works to come out in the future.

    If you are shooting under 500 yards it will not matter.

    Steve
    __________________
    Hammer Bullets
    Advanced Technology
    Simply Better


    To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
    Reply With Quote

      #10  
    Unread 09-27-2010, 08:33 AM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Posts: 45
    Re: .300 RUM twist rate

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
    I run a 10 twist in my 30 cal. If I were doing it again I would run a 9 twist in order to handle the high bc bullets that are available currently and in the works to come out in the future.

    If you are shooting under 500 yards it will not matter.

    Steve
    Soooo, help me out here. All the bullets I have looked at are recommending a 1:11 or slower including the Berger's which I thought to be the highest BC available. What bullets are you looking at? 1:9 is a lot faster than anything I have read for something like the 300 RUM. Just trying to learn what I can.
    Reply With Quote
      #11  
    Unread 09-28-2010, 09:24 PM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: Montana
    Posts: 2,594
    Re: .300 RUM twist rate

    Deleted.

    Last edited by RockyMtnMT; 09-28-2010 at 09:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote
      #12  
    Unread 09-28-2010, 09:26 PM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: Montana
    Posts: 2,594
    Re: .300 RUM twist rate

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bh5k View Post
    Soooo, help me out here. All the bullets I have looked at are recommending a 1:11 or slower including the Berger's which I thought to be the highest BC available. What bullets are you looking at? 1:9 is a lot faster than anything I have read for something like the 300 RUM. Just trying to learn what I can.
    I am currently running the GS HV 177g that recommends a 1 in 9. I am shooting them out of a 10 twist and they are good, but I am very fast so I am getting away with a questionable twist.

    I like the mono metal bullets, and am also interested in aluminum tipped bullets that are out there.
    __________________
    Hammer Bullets
    Advanced Technology
    Simply Better


    To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
    Reply With Quote
      #13  
    Unread 09-28-2010, 10:23 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Pennsyltucky
    Posts: 2,630
    Re: .300 RUM twist rate

    i can assure you an 11 twist will stabilize a 210. 1k world records have been shot with 11 twist using a WSM case. a 9 twist and a rum case...i'd only do that if you were going to only shoot some of the new long missles.

    Last edited by davewilson; 09-28-2010 at 10:28 PM.
    Reply With Quote
      #14  
    Unread 09-28-2010, 10:50 PM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: Montana
    Posts: 2,594
    Re: .300 RUM twist rate

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
    i can assure you an 11 twist will stabilize a 210. 1k world records have been shot with 11 twist using a WSM case. a 9 twist and a rum case...i'd only do that if you were going to only shoot some of the new long missles.
    And I agree with Dave. That is why I chose a 10 twist when I built mine. It is the all around for the 30 cal.

    Steve
    __________________
    Hammer Bullets
    Advanced Technology
    Simply Better


    To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: .300 RUM twist rate
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Best rate of twist for 243. win matt_3479 Long Range Hunting & Shooting 8 07-27-2013 09:48 PM
    Twist rate ? 6mm Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 6 09-25-2009 12:01 PM
    Rate of Twist nate-lab Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 2 02-21-2009 08:54 PM
    243 Twist Rate kdog70 Long Range Hunting & Shooting 11 02-18-2009 11:00 PM
    Twist rate of a CZ 527 OKbow87 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 2 11-16-2006 12:02 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC