Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

300 Rum Nosler ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member
Rem brass is not nearly as pretty, that's for sure. However, with some work, you can get it looking pretty good, especially with some time in the case tumbler, trimming, sizing, etc. The Nosler stuff just seemed soft to me, but very pretty. I was a little frustrated with this too and decided to call Nosler about it. Not much info as I tried to press the tech for who the manufacurer was. My guess is it's Norma. But I was told that Nosler brass is made in 2 factories outside the US. It is then 'prettied' up (trimmed, flash holes deburred) across the street from Nosler in Oregon. Who those 2 offshore factories are is another question. Sure wish we could get Lapua to make some 300RUM brass as the Nosler does not seem to be holding up to the pressure that even the REM brass will.
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia - Shelter for Your WildSide -

Unread 09-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by DIRTY 30 RUM View Post
Has anyone tried the Nosler brass for the 300 rum. I have noticed with factory Remington bass the primer pockets get week fast @ pressure. I wish Lapua would make brass for these things.
You could backer her down a little (ie. sacrafice 100 fps to prevent having to tinker with brass all the time). Or, get some 404 Jeffery cases and form them. Of course, you will have to get the bolt opened up a tad to use these cases. From what I am told, you can wear out a barrel with 40 of these cases.

Finally, I formed 50 300RUM Nosler cases into 338RUM cases. When I was testing loads, some of the pockets opened up a tad when I approached a press limit. Instead of throwing the brass away, I got one of the Hart primer pocket tools and have not had any issues whatsoever. Still have the brass and it works great. I have over 10 shots on each piece and my load is 101 H1000 behind a 225 Acubond for 3226 fps in my Hall Express Repeater bolt gun.

OOPs....... almost forgot..... The better the chambering quality the less the brass moves.

Unread 09-21-2007, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member
Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
The one thing I do love about the Nosler cases is thier volume concistency. Much better than Remington. My most accurate loads are shot with the Nosler cases. I just HATE the primer pockets!!! :mad:
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Unread 09-24-2007, 08:05 AM
Bronze Member
Thank you guys for the info. I guess I will stay with the factory Rem. Brass.