Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

300 RUM Load?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2003, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 RUM Load?

Brent,

That is some interesting data you collected there. I sure wouldn't expect a 150g bullet going at that speed out of that chambering to have pressure signs. I wonder what's up?

Jerry, What load are you using with the H50BMG?

Thanks,

Jon Denham

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Old 11-11-2003, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 RUM Load?

Brent and Jerry,

Thanks for the info. I'm heading to MT in a couple of days for 2 weeks of elk hunting and due to lack of time, I've settled on 94.4g of RL25 with a 200g A-frame at about 3097fps over the Oehler 33. Got it zeroed at 300. Should kill an elk just fine, I thinks. I still get faint extractor marks about every other case with this load even, but I'm out of time. Will have to do for this hunt. Is Remington brass soft????

I did something I don't usually do yesterday at the range as my curiousity got the best of me. I has seen that Accurate Arms has AA8700 at a max load with the 200g A-frame at 111.0g at 3115fps. So, I loaded this in just one round--curiosity got the best of me and I didn't have time to do any more load development. Wow! 3280 fps, but with sticky bolt lift (which I've never felt before in the two rifles I load for the other being a .30-.338)and obvious extractor mark. Stupid--shouldn't have done it. But now I know. I hope to play with AA8700 (Jerry, I guess you'd call this a ball powder, and I don't know if it is "modern powder temperature insensitive" or not. Do you?) and 200g Accubonds later.

Also stuck 95g of RETUMBO in a case with same bullet and it had an extractor mark at 3033fps. Not what I had hoped.

BTW, I got a Redding neck sizer die (for $30, I figured I'd like to see if I could do that with the 300RUM) and this rifle seems to be accepting the neck size cases multiple times just fine. Seems to have fine accuracy if I do "my part". Any similar experiences?

Thanks,

Jon Denham

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl