Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

300 RUM enough gun for elk @ 600 yards?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #22  
Old 01-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,642
Re: 300 RUM enough gun for elk @ 600 yards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
Trickymissfit; What I'm trying to say is that if the bullet passes thru the animal your not getting full benifit of the round.

i'm going to respectfully disagree with this statement. check out what a 50 gr solid going in at 4k and out the other side at 3k does to an animal. when a bullet "zips" right through an animal, it causes a whole bunch more damage because it makes a bigger wound channel. assuming it mushrooms.
it's physics! It takes energy to move the bullet thru the air before impact, and as well after impact. You hit something out there, and it absorbs certain amounts of energy, but the bullet goes all the way thru; thus retaining certain amounts of energy to propell it even further. But if the bullet fails to exit the target it impacts; it then expends all retained energy (thru flight) into the object it hits. Most ballistic folks say it takes around 35% of the energy at the muzzel to propell the bullet, and and it will expend another 35% at impact with the rest carrying it on thru the flight. But if the bullet fails to exit, you then expend the remaining 65% into the target. I might add here that many folks say the number is closer to 40%, while others use a 33% for shorter ranges (300 yards or less). I think the 1/3 number is flawed as it violates one of the laws of physics. In this particular case the bullet struck two massive bone structures, which probably aborbed more energy than if it had been a lung shot. But it still probably 20 to 25% of the energy it had when it first impacted on exit. Probably about 1500 to 1600ft. lb. of expeneded energy.
gary
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,105
Re: 300 RUM enough gun for elk @ 600 yards?

I think that the main thing with a bullet going faster and exiting that is benifitial is the hydostatic shock. the displacment of fluid/tissue is going to be greater if the bullet is going faster. If you drop a bowling ball into water from 3 feet and then another from 5 feet, which makes the bigger splash? that splash causes tissue damage. maybe my logic is flawed but I have lots of time for learning.
one added benifit of pass throughs is a better blood trail if the game doesnt drop in its tracks.
Sorry, kinda off topic. I still think that the Ultra is better at any range. Barrels can always be replaced.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: 300 RUM enough gun for elk @ 600 yards?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Church Steel Shoot (200 yards-1125 yards) Ernie Long Range Hunting & Shooting 1 08-21-2011 10:25 AM
1918 yards shoting Yes i said 1918 yards tjonh2001 Long Range Hunting & Shooting 25 04-02-2010 04:56 PM
7mm-08 400-700 yards bm1956 Long Range Hunting & Shooting 21 01-07-2010 09:27 AM
300 RUM at 800 yards remingtonman_25_06 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 1 10-26-2003 07:47 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC