Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

300 rum is a beast!!

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 03-24-2014, 05:55 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 500
Re: 300 rum is a beast!!

Darn you Riley!!! Good one!!! The only thing I use that for is pictures too!! Haha!!! We'll played my man!! Well played!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-25-2014, 09:43 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 90
Re: 300 rum is a beast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublezranch View Post
Hmmmmm....... 102.7 grains of 33 pushing a 200 grain LRX 3300 fps in a factory sendero.... Or just loaded a ladder of 33 from 101 to 103 grains of 33 pushing a 230 target in my custom 300 rum starting at 3100 fps....

No not sure what your talking about!!!!

Remember.. To tame the beast, you need a assassin brake!!

Here is the custom...
WOW!! uuHHH I think it would be safe to say you're seeing the same thing with your gun...Man i shot my first big gun with a thumb hole stock and wow it is so much more comfortable and gives you more control of the gun. Yea i usely don't stray off of the nosler load data but I got the itch to bump up at least 1 more grain over max powder and look for pressure signs...whats you're opinion on that???...This is probally a dumb question to you but my gun shoots flat at 300 yards and yes it will shoot further but i have to adjust my height on the scope or raise up on the ballastic cross hairs to shoot further...Is it normal for to shoot 300 yards with this 300 rum flat and then adjust elevation for further distance? Is that what you have come across with your gun?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-25-2014, 09:46 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 90
Re: 300 rum is a beast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyH View Post
I'm shooting 95gr of Retumbo with 210 vld hunting. Getting 3160 for m.v. and an oal of 3.675". The more powder I pushed the better they shoot. Getting just under .5 moa with the load. It is just starting to show pressure signs
Hey Cody how far are you shooting when you get the .5 moa?..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-25-2014, 12:15 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Coos Bay, OR
Posts: 25
Re: 300 rum is a beast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baydog View Post
Hey Cody how far are you shooting when you get the .5 moa?..
I have tested from the bench at 100, and 200. Couldnt pass up a good shot at 810 one day and shot right aroud 3" for 3 shots at a rock. My 200 yd groups have measured just under 3/4" and 100 is shooting ragged holes.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-25-2014, 03:37 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 500
Re: 300 rum is a beast!!

I have never been very good with spinning turrets. I do believe the practice of spinning turrets is the most accurate way of long range targeting, however, I choose to use the BDC redicals on Nikon scopes. Nikon has a ballistic program like most, plug in your information and it will place ranges on specific spots down the tree inside your redical. I like that much more than spinning turrets. Then all I have to judge is the wind.

My 300 rum is a flat shooting son of a gun that is fun and very comfortable. My 12 year old can shoot it when he doesn't flinch from the boom!! It most certainly doesn't kick anymore then his 270 wsm.

As far as pressure signs go...I have 2 opinions. The first is if your looking for barrel life, don't press the envelope. Find a power node near the top that works and shoot the heck out of your gun worry free. My second is if your gun is built, or your attitude is to pinch every bit out of your rifle that you can, then by all means keep laddering up until those signs show their ugly face. My ladders are by .3 grains. I am very vigilant when I'm creeping up my ladder for the smallest pressure sign. Also keep in mind that some powders are heat sensitive and spike when the powder gets warm. For instance, shooting in North Dakota in the winter verses Texas. North Dakota is -30 and Texas is 50. There is a big swing there.

Big thing is be careful. Nothing is worth blowing yourself up over.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-26-2014, 08:51 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 90
Re: 300 rum is a beast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyH View Post
I have tested from the bench at 100, and 200. Couldnt pass up a good shot at 810 one day and shot right aroud 3" for 3 shots at a rock. My 200 yd groups have measured just under 3/4" and 100 is shooting ragged holes.
Cody I'm shooting a 200 grain accubond with 91.5 grain of retumbo. From 0 to 100 yard i can pretty much shoot the bullseye out of the target but when i shoot 200 yards it goes from flat at 0 to 100 yard to 4 inches high at 200 with about a 1/2" to 3/4" group. So at 100 yard it seems to start to rise and by the time it gets to 200 yard i think it's to the top of the trajectory and at 300 yard it's flat again with at least a 1" or more group. If i back off on the powder the group opens up. Gonna try a few at 92 grains of retumbo and see if that helps maybe tighten the group and flatten out a little more also..???
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-26-2014, 09:32 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 90
Re: 300 rum is a beast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublezranch View Post
I have never been very good with spinning turrets. I do believe the practice of spinning turrets is the most accurate way of long range targeting, however, I choose to use the BDC redicals on Nikon scopes. Nikon has a ballistic program like most, plug in your information and it will place ranges on specific spots down the tree inside your redical. I like that much more than spinning turrets. Then all I have to judge is the wind.

My 300 rum is a flat shooting son of a gun that is fun and very comfortable. My 12 year old can shoot it when he doesn't flinch from the boom!! It most certainly doesn't kick anymore then his 270 wsm.

As far as pressure signs go...I have 2 opinions. The first is if your looking for barrel life, don't press the envelope. Find a power node near the top that works and shoot the heck out of your gun worry free. My second is if your gun is built, or your attitude is to pinch every bit out of your rifle that you can, then by all means keep laddering up until those signs show their ugly face. My ladders are by .3 grains. I am very vigilant when I'm creeping up my ladder for the smallest pressure sign. Also keep in mind that some powders are heat sensitive and spike when the powder gets warm. For instance, shooting in North Dakota in the winter verses Texas. North Dakota is -30 and Texas is 50. There is a big swing there.

Big thing is be careful. Nothing is worth blowing yourself up over.
I'm not a big fan of spinning turrets either. The scope I have is a Leupold 4x12x50mm firedot with the ballistic type cross hair witch to me is a cross hair with a red dot in the middle that you can turn on or off and has a circle around the intersection with 3 ballistic lines on the bottom side of the tree... It works pretty good after shooting it a lot and getting use to the ballistic lines but I don't think we shoot no where near the distance you guys are use to shooting. Longest shot we would have is 300 to 500 yards...As far as the powder goes I never stray off the nosler data but i got the itch to bump up off the max nosler suggest a little bit. The gun seems to have a appetite for powder and lead!! ...thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC