Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

300 RUM barrel life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 RUM barrel life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Good points and here's my answers. My smith has had a few of these done and hasn't had any issues with actions, bolts, etc. MMI Trutec uses a higher temp process than H&M and will not do some actions. H&M will do any steel guns parts and has been doing them for quite awhile. The reasons I'm doing the other parts is to match the finish which is very nice and about bullet proof. It will not ever wear off and you are not likely to ever scratch or scuff it. And it is extremely corrosion resistant. It also makes for a silky smooth bolt.

I'm not concerned about the warranties on my Rem and Vanguard actions and they probably went out the window when my smiths put them on the lathe. Snowy Mountian didn't seemed to be concerned when I talked with them about a full custom build and nitriding it.

Interesting, I was unaware the two businesses used different temperatures. The silky smooth bolt operation I can dig, the finish I cannot. Plain black just doesn't cut it anymore, granted I can CeraKote it afterwards & should be good to go. Your comment about the integrity of the finish is something I hadn't thought about though & well founded. You're right about your Rem & Howa I had custom actions in mind when I made the warranty statement.

t

Old 05-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
Thanks MontanaRifleman & Outlaw6.0

I'm going to read into this Blacknitride finishing a little bit more but I think I woud have the external parts done except the triggers.

Do you know if this is this an opaque finish such as black parkerizing or is it more transparent ... like some color anodizing I've seen. I ask this because this might just be a way out of a problem I created last Fall. The short story is I dramatically changed the cosmetic appearance of my wife's rifle. And the metal finish is the last thing in need of repair.

It is a black finish which they can do satin or matte. Not recommended to do well used barrels.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Interesting, I was unaware the two businesses used different temperatures. The silky smooth bolt operation I can dig, the finish I cannot. Plain black just doesn't cut it anymore, granted I can CeraKote it afterwards & should be good to go. Your comment about the integrity of the finish is something I hadn't thought about though & well founded. You're right about your Rem & Howa I had custom actions in mind when I made the warranty statement.

t
I can dig that you don't like black. We all have our preferences. I happen to like black so it works good for me. My 2 favorite metal finishes for rifles are matte black and bead blasted stainless. Don't really care for anything else.

That said, I think my smith in Great Falls, Dave Young, said he could remove the black form the finish if I wanted. I said no thanks, I like the black.

And yeah, you could cerakote it anything you want but it wouldn't be as scratch resistant as the nitride.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afimedia View Post
Only 1000 rounds? Really? I have a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in .300 RUM that I have put 1,500 rounds through and it still shoots great. My best group ever with this rifle was just recently - 10 rounds under half inch at 100 yards, not counting the cold bore fouling shot which went slightly wide. All 11 rounds still went under 7/8".
Did you check dates on BountyHunter post that your questioning? His post was from 1/25/2006. You might do better starting a new post.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Silver Member

You speak of nitride. When I hear that I think of a titanium nitride coat deposited on the finish. I'm pretty sure you're talking about ferritic nitrocarburization though.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfur View Post
You speak of nitride. When I hear that I think of a titanium nitride coat deposited on the finish. I'm pretty sure you're talking about ferritic nitrocarburization though.
You are correct.

From the provided link...

BLACKNITRIDE™, or Ferritic Nitrocarburizing, is the thermochemical that simultaneously diffuses nitrogen and carbon into the surface of ferrous metals. During the process, a two-part surface layer is formed, an outer iron nitride layer with a nitrogen diffusion layer below it. During this treatment, nitrogen and carbon are absorbed by and diffused into the surface of the metal. Reproducible and uniform layers with a predetermined thickness will be formed on all areas of the metal. The result of this process is markedly improved surface properties on ferrous metal parts while maintaining dimensional and shape stability.

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Silver Member

In my limited experience with the 300Rum (2 barrels) accuracy goes away at about 700 rounds....And that is being optimistic.

Before you get your panties in a knot that is 1/2 MOA and ever load fired was at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE.
Why else would you own a 300RUM?
You can extend barrel life, but only if you are happier with lessor accuracy.

Just my 2 bits!

BLACKNITRIDE....Pessimist here!

EDIT: Holy crap this is an old thread!