Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

300 RUM barrel life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 RUM barrel life

Yup, I've heard and read that the process will leave some "fuzz" in the bore. My smith said I should scrub it good with JB when I get it back.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Yup, I've heard and read that the process will leave some "fuzz" in the bore. My smith said I should scrub it good with JB when I get it back.

That's exactly what I've read also, basically scrub it until your arms goes numb & repeat

Now hurry up & get those rifles done would ya?

t

Old 05-14-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
H&M

H&M Metal Processing: What is Black Nitride?

I called the other day and found out they have a $200 minimum but they will do up to 2-3 barrels and actions for that. And I have 3 barreled actions to send them soon. Great deal!

This is interesting! What components would one have 'treated?' Would that be just the barrel, lug, receiver, and the bolt body? Or would one also treat the smaller parts too? ie; bolt stop lever and the remaining bolt parts?

Last edited by Alchemist; 05-14-2013 at 11:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
This is interesting! What components would one have 'treated?' Would that be just the barrel, lug, receiver, and the bolt body? Or would one also treat the smaller parts too? ie; bolt stop lever and the remaining bolt parts?
Any steel parts including trigger. No springs, everything must be disassembled including bolts and bolt stops. I will get everything done except the triggers.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post

For me personally, it would be nothing but the barrel. I don't see any reason to do other parts. That's not to say that doing the barreled action isn't beneficial, what I am saying is that altering specifically engineered parts of the action scares the crap out of me

Those parts were designed that way for a reason & I don't know if the increased hardness will negatively affect them. Some action manufacturers will void your warranty if you treat their equipment, some don't care.

t

Old 05-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
For me personally, it would be nothing but the barrel. I don't see any reason to do other parts. That's not to say that doing the barreled action isn't beneficial, what I am saying is that altering specifically engineered parts of the action scares the crap out of me

Those parts were designed that way for a reason & I don't know if the increased hardness will negatively affect them. Some action manufacturers will void your warranty if you treat their equipment, some don't care.

t
Good points and here's my answers. My smith has had a few of these done and hasn't had any issues with actions, bolts, etc. MMI Trutec uses a higher temp process than H&M and will not do some actions. H&M will do any steel guns parts and has been doing them for quite awhile. The reasons I'm doing the other parts is to match the finish which is very nice and about bullet proof. It will not ever wear off and you are not likely to ever scratch or scuff it. And it is extremely corrosion resistant. It also makes for a silky smooth bolt.

I'm not concerned about the warranties on my Rem and Vanguard actions and they probably went out the window when my smiths put them on the lathe. Snowy Mountian didn't seemed to be concerned when I talked with them about a full custom build and nitriding it.

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-14-2013, 12:10 PM

Thanks MontanaRifleman & Outlaw6.0

I'm going to read into this Blacknitride finishing a little bit more but I think I woud have the external parts done except the triggers.

Do you know if this is this an opaque finish such as black parkerizing or is it more transparent ... like some color anodizing I've seen. I ask this because this might just be a way out of a problem I created last Fall. The short story is I dramatically changed the cosmetic appearance of my wife's rifle. And the metal finish is the last thing in need of repair.