Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

300 RUM barrel life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 01:12 AM

Re: 300 RUM barrel life

I shot that group with some custom Nosler loads, so I have no idea what powder they are using, but it was loaded with their 180 gr Ballistic Tips - their 165 gr Ballistic Tips shoot almost as well in my rifle. I let my barrel cool down after every round to shoot that group and I never shoot more than 3 rounds before letting it cool enough that I can hold the barrel without being burned. Plus, I clean religiously and often - and as often as practical if I'm out on a hunt.

If I can ever find components to reload again, my favorite recipe is straight out of the Nosler Manual and it delivers 3250 fps w/180 gr Speer Ballistic Tips.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afimedia View Post
I shot that group with some custom Nosler loads, so I have no idea what powder they are using, but it was loaded with their 180 gr Ballistic Tips - their 165 gr Ballistic Tips shoot almost as well in my rifle. I let my barrel cool down after every round to shoot that group and I never shoot more than 3 rounds before letting it cool enough that I can hold the barrel without being burned. Plus, I clean religiously and often - and as often as practical if I'm out on a hunt.

If I can ever find components to reload again, my favorite recipe is straight out of the Nosler Manual and it delivers 3250 fps w/180 gr Speer Ballistic Tips.
3250 for 180 gr bullets would be what I call a mild load. That will definitely extend your barrel life. I was shooting 180's @ 3400 plus. I'm fairly sure the Nosler custom loads would have been mild also.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

I wasn't even aware that Speer made ballistic tips? 3250fps is mild by most RUM Standards & may prove the reason behind the rifle in question getting better than a 50% gain in throat/bbl life. 1000rnds has pretty much been the bench mark for a WELL taken care of 300 RUM & far less if shot like a 308

BTW- I think we set a record for resurrected threads 7 yrs old before the recent posts, not bad. But, the info is still relevent & the conversation intriguing, march on!

t

Old 05-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah, I would like to hear from other 300 RUM shooters what they are seeing for barrel life.

I'll check back in to report in about another 7 yrs after I have a few thousands rounds down my nitrided 300 RUM

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Yeah, I would like to hear from other 300 RUM shooters what they are seeing for barrel life.

I'll check back in to report in about another 7 yrs after I have a few thousands rounds down my nitrided 300 RUM

LOL! Who is doing the treatment for you?

t

Old 05-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

H&M

H&M Metal Processing: What is Black Nitride?

I called the other day and found out they have a $200 minimum but they will do up to 2-3 barrels and actions for that. And I have 3 barreled actions to send them soon. Great deal!

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

That is a smoking good price. Have you read anything about cleaning the bore after that process takes place? Several people are stating that you have to clean the snot out of them before shooting them.

t