Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

300 RUM Ack Imp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2005, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

300 RUM Ack Imp

I did a search a couple of different ways and couldn't find any info on the 300 RUM Ack Imp. If there's info on the site that someone knows about, could you point me to it?

Does anybody shoot this? I see a PTG reamer for it at Midway apparently created by Dave at PTG. Any experiences or thoughts on performance with 180 and 200 Accubonds, barrel life and the Ack Imp idea in general on a 300 RUM?

I know some folks say it's ridiculous to try to improve the 300 RUM case...oh well...it's fun!

Thanks for your input.

Jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-19-2005, 06:15 PM
Silver Member

Re: 300 RUM Ack Imp

You will need a longish barrel (30") or better to be able to utilize the added powder.

Old 09-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Silver Member

Not the AI, do a search here for "300 tomahawk".
Old 09-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Silver Member

The Tomahawk is the 300 Remington Ultra Mag improved, from Dave Manson reamers. 35 degree shoulder. Ray Romain out of Brockport PA has built several of them, and I believe was a big part in designing the reamer. He built mine.

It shoots best with ball powders like H 870 (which might not be available anymore), and 220 to 240 SMK's. The ball powders are best when used in cool weather 50* and colder. Hotter weather can cause problems with ball powders. Retumbo is also a good powder for it. You can start with 300 RUM loads and slowly work up. It works best with barrels 32" and longer!

Hope this helps,
Frank D
Old 09-19-2005, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Hi,

Yes, I've talked to Ray about the Tomahawk. He won't build a barrel for it under 30" for good reason.

But I am looking for folks with experience with this 300 RUM Ack Imp. Probably the same performance as the Tomahawk, but just curious.

Thanks.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Gold Member

a RUM Ack Imp,
Charles Emmerson Winchester III, summed this up best by stating "this is the finest ballerina in all of Galveston Texas" IE lets re-invent the wheel again and acomplish absolutely nothing.
UB
Old 09-21-2005, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member

Hi, I've come up with a 300 Rum Imp idea I wanted to get some advice on (I'd better hold on...).

Here's the specs:

case length--2.850

case wall--
-base--.551
-shoulder--.541

shoulder--40 deg

neck--.286

I sent a drawing off to Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge and he thought it would work. It's actually very similar to his 300 RUM Ack Imp.

I'm wondering if this is too little body taper for good extraction. This is to be a hunting round and reasonable feeding is necessary. Thoughts?

Thank you,

Jon