Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

300 RUM or 300 WSM NEED OPINIONS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Silver Member

300 RUM or 300 WSM NEED OPINIONS

I have reached my crux point guys and need some help,,

I have shot the 300 wsm Rem 700 SpS stainless, for around 2 yrs and have taken 15 whitetail,,several hogs , one mule deer and one elk with it,,

I want to upgrade for more effeciency and accurracy but not sure if I need a caliber change or just platform change, as I love the 300 wsm,,,however it does back down ballistically to the 300 RUM everytime,,,

I need a lightweight rig for humping under 8 lbs minus optics.., short for brush and climbing stand,, @22 inch barrel with brake not included...I do not reload so factory ammo needs to be accurrate and available,,,Want to kill with authority out to say 1000yd but for now 750 with 1000 capability..My definition of authoritive means no tracking,, massive trauma,,DRT,,I do not mind kick or noise and do plan on breaking whichever I go with.. Needs to be corrosion resistant I live on coast and hunt marshes..use will be for ,, in order of quantity,,1.Southern Whitetail,,,2.Wild hogs.. 3. mule deer and elk once a year..So with this in mind what do you think..I have a 1500 budget..and want rig to have resale appeal and value,,just in case I ever get bit by the edge..

1.My original plan was to build a 300 wsm from REM 700P LTRr? found one in 300 saum, I could get this done for around 1500.00 but not stainless action

2 Do I build 300 wsm off of my existing stainless action..Kreiger barrel ,, DE break,,HS stock...? probably about the same money

3 Do I buy an allready accurized sendero in 300 rum?

4.Could I build 300 rum off of my action? and keep it short and not loose to much fps..?? I would think from others that I would loose @100 fps??

All in put welcome...Please help....
Lowcountrywildlifemanagement@gmail.com
Genesis 9;2
Old 12-31-2007, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

With your issue with corrosion, the new 700's with the Trynite (sp?) coating would fit the bill. That way you could keep your WSM and still have a RUM. I shoot a .300 RUM, and it does and will do all I am capable of. I have taken upwards of 30 critters, almost all with the 200 gr Accubond. No complaints. mtmuley
Old 12-31-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post

I have shot the 300 wsm Rem 700 SpS stainless, for around 2 yrs and have taken 15 whitetail,,several hogs , one mule deer and one elk with it,,

I want to upgrade for more effeciency and accurracy but not sure if I need a caliber change or just platform change, as I love the 300 wsm,,,however it does back down ballistically to the 300 RUM everytime,,,

I need a lightweight rig for humping under 8 lbs minus optics.., short for brush and climbing stand,, @22 inch barrel with brake not included...I do not reload so factory ammo needs to be accurrate and available,,,Want to kill with authority out to say 1000yd but for now 750 with 1000 capability..My definition of authoritive means no tracking,, massive trauma,,DRT,,I do not mind kick or noise and do plan on breaking whichever I go with.. Needs to be corrosion resistant I live on coast and hunt marshes..use will be for ,, in order of quantity,,1.Southern Whitetail,,,2.Wild hogs.. 3. mule deer and elk once a year..So with this in mind what do you think..I have a 1500 budget..and want rig to have resale appeal and value,,just in case I ever get bit by the edge..

1.My original plan was to build a 300 wsm from REM 700P LTRr? found one in 300 saum, I could get this done for around 1500.00 but not stainless action

2 Do I build 300 wsm off of my existing stainless action..Kreiger barrel ,, DE break,,HS stock...? probably about the same money

4.Could I build 300 rum off of my action? and keep it short and not loose to much fps..?? I would think from others that I would loose @100 fps??

I have a 300 saum in stainless allweather and love it,and have a 300 ultra mag in same thing.you want lightweight then get rem model 7 in the 300 saum staniless all weather i found one for 500.00 the other day,matter ua fact i havent given over 500.00 for eather one of mine,new in the box,rem model 7 light weight good price then shoot for good optics.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

For the past three years I've been carrying a LH .300 WSM Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. Topped with a 4.5-14X32mm Short Mag scope the whole rig goes about 8 pounds. It's a great looking rifle not to mention a pure tack driver... after a trigger job and having it pillar bedded!

I've also seen more .300 WSM offerings than I have 300 Rum if that means anything.

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 01-01-2008, 05:12 AM
Silver Member

With a 22" bbl I think either the WSM or SAUM would be MUCH more efficient than the RUM. I don't have any experience with the WSM or the SAUM but I have some with the RUM. It (the RUM) does much better in longer barrels than in shorter ones.
Based on what you said in your initial post I think you'd be much better off with the purchase of a Rem Model 7 in the SAUM caliber. If you want to continue with the WSM then get it modified for that cartridge, it shouldn't take much to do.

Last edited by Stormrider; 01-01-2008 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Silver Member

Guys ,,

Thanks for all the input... I should have said I am a one gun guy..I have several .. but for mid to big game I believe in finding one and sticking with it,repitition is my best friend, unless need for a change arrives.. and recently watching a 300 inch 6x6 at 650 yds on two occasions this year and not being able to get him with my rig mainly due to my optics lacking tactical knobs has constituted this change..

I am not worried about overkill for whitetail. I want to upgrade to a precision rifle with SnB PMII....I have to track when I bowhunt, no need for it rifle hunting..What do you think now? Again thankyou for all the input...It is very needed...
Lowcountrywildlifemanagement@gmail.com
Genesis 9;2
Old 01-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
a 300 inch 6x6 at 650 yds on two occasions this year and not being able to get him with my rig ...
300 RUM pushing a 200 grain Accubond would do that easy.....