Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

.300 Rum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member
JMO, but shooting a 300RUM with anything less than 180g is just not using that case very well...even a 180 is questionable. On this board, in general, folks will tend towards (or eventually learn to tend towards) the heavy for caliber, hi BC bullets. With the slow burning powders available today, some fairly impressive wind bucking accuracy and higher energy can be developed for long range shooting. Check out the energy and wind bucking numbers for a Berger 210g at 3125 fps or a 240 Sierra Matchking at 3000fps--make a little 130g look pretty pathetic at any range, especially long range. Good luck...I used to think velocity was king too. Then I spent some time here.
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia - Shelter for Your WildSide -

Unread 03-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

I absolutely agree!

My personal loads are using Nosler Accubond 200 gr. and Berger 210 gr, I still have to try the 240 gr. from Sierra.

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Unread 03-14-2008, 10:01 PM
300 Rum

I'm an advacate of the notion; find one multi-purpose round and shoot it well. I get 3340 sub moa with 180 accu-bombs in my LSS LH. The other load I have played with that I like is 165 accu-bombs at 3500+. Either of these is great load for any N American game. The 165 I think is where I will stay. Like I said, thekey is find the right load and stick with it for consistent long range range shots.