Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

300 rum 230 berger/barnes tipped hybrid.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 12:28 AM
Silver Member

300 rum 230 berger/barnes tipped hybrid.......

So I was trying to figure out what to do with all my extra pulled 180 barnes ttsx and had an epiphany...........hmmm what about a tipped 230 berger hybrid, thought to myself.........helll I can make that.

So........ recycling the tips, a little filling and sanding, heres what I got.

Thoughts and opinions please............

was just bored and dinkin around a little. Rich and Roy I know you guys have been doing this, suppose I was to hunt with these what kind of terminal performance would you expect, I tried to keep the OAL of the bullet the same so what do yo think ive done to the BC.....

No real plan here just a thread to get peoples gears a turnin, been pretty mellow around here since the component shortage and people quit shootin.....lol........

Montana Rifleman, finally got ahold of 2 lbs re 33. Looking to start loading these 230's in my 300 ultra Sendero.

3.150 is kissing lands to Ogive, was thinkin of backin it off 10 thou and running a ladder, in your experience where would you start and end your ladder..... I know yow have worked extensivly with this combo.

My barrel is the standard 26 inch where do you think I might end up velocity wise.....

Thanks in advance. The tipped bullet, hell that may be fun
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
300 rum 230 berger/barnes tipped hybrid.......-2014-03-31-22.34.17.jpg  

The 2nd Amendment......America's original Homeland Security.

Ethan Parke........roped the deer in 1953. Put tags in his ears turned him loose then shot him in 1955. Always liked this pic
The story was told to me by his wife who owned the little motel we stayed at on a deer hunt in Malta Idaho about 17 years ago...... Youll never see that again. Just a cool pic of Idaho deer huntin history
Old 04-01-2014, 05:23 AM
SPONSOR

Re: 300 rum 230 berger/barnes tipped hybrid.......

Have you used the 230's yet in your RUM?
MV?
Old 04-01-2014, 07:44 AM
Silver Member

No I havent, I have a ladder loaded up, with retumbo and hoping to end up in the 2900 to 3000 range......

Ethan Parke........roped the deer in 1953. Put tags in his ears turned him loose then shot him in 1955. Always liked this pic
The story was told to me by his wife who owned the little motel we stayed at on a deer hunt in Malta Idaho about 17 years ago...... Youll never see that again. Just a cool pic of Idaho deer huntin history
Old 04-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Gold Member

It's most certainly interesting. Will the plastic tip on the Berger change its weight displacement? Also, will it slow down the expansion? It looks awesome. What does the bullet weigh with the tip inserted?

You have to shoot one and let us know what happens...
Old 04-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublezranch View Post
It's most certainly interesting. Will the plastic tip on the Berger change its weight displacement? Also, will it slow down the expansion? It looks awesome. What does the bullet weigh with the tip inserted?

You have to shoot one and let us know what happens...
All questions I dont know.......ill weigh it tonight and see....... I wouldve guessed the other way as far as expansion in that it would be more explosive negating the point of shooting berger. Loseing the initial penetration before expansion, but again I dont know.........did think it looked cool too though.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:33 PM
Gold Member

You will love the 230 bergers either way. I'm in the process of running the top end on my ladder. My last loads are 103.3 to 104.5. I haven't seen any pressure yet and it seems that the Bergers like 20 thou off the lands.

Here is my last thread. Check it out

Uncharted territory
Old 04-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member

Is this an april fools joke?

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755