Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

300 RUM/220 SMK gurus. Need your input.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
300 RUM/220 SMK gurus. Need your input.

How fast have you safely driven the 220 SMK out of your 300 RUM? I was out today toying with the 220's and accuracy was very promising. Was using 90.0 of H50BMG @ an average of 2942 with a 9 FPS extreeme spread. There were no pressure signs whatsover, in fact the primer looked like it was mild. Before I decide to add anymore powder, I was wondering about what is the max velocity for this bullet in this case.

Shooting 11.25x and 28"

Thanks!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Lightvarmint

Re: 300 RUM/220 SMK gurus. Need your input.

Hello,

Based on the information that I got from Joel Russo, that may be a little mild. We are anticipating 3200 fps with the 210 grain bullets with a BC north of .900 that I am testing.

Lightvarmint

Last edited by Lightvarmint; 12-20-2008 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Addition of BC information
Old 12-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightvarmint View Post
Hello,

Based on the information that I got from Joel Russo, that may be a little mild. We are anticipating 3200 fps with the 210 grain bullets with a BC north of .900 that I am testing.

Lightvarmint
I can tell you that shooting the 200 ACCUBONDS at 3200+ is starting to cause pressure signs. I am pretty sure I wont be getting 3200 with a 210 or 220.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:53 AM
Lightvarmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by meichele View Post
I can tell you that shooting the 200 ACCUBONDS at 3200+ is starting to cause pressure signs. I am pretty sure I wont be getting 3200 with a 210 or 220.

What is the bearing surface length comparison of the bullets you are using? Additionally, I have heard that Retumbo works well in the 300SMK.

Lightvarmnt
Old 12-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member

With all due respect LV, I am not trying to calculate how to get to a certain velocity. I am looking for real world experiances and maximum velocities. Not neccesarily with a given powder. So if you have any experiance with this particular cartridge AND bullet combo, I would love to entertain it.

As far as RETUMBO, I am getting 2940+ with 90 grains of H50BMG with room left in the case for about 5 grains. This is a retorical question. What kind of pressure do you think RETUMBO would generate in my rifle with a 220 SMK? I have pressure problems with RETUMBO in my rig with 180's as it is and TONS of room left in the case. Thanks but no thanks. 338 bores are bigger with more burn area slowing powder down. My tight chamber, tight bore 300 is not very well adapted to RETUMBO.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Lightvarmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by meichele View Post
With all due respect LV, I am not trying to calculate how to get to a certain velocity. I am looking for real world experiances and maximum velocities. Not neccesarily with a given powder. So if you have any experiance with this particular cartridge AND bullet combo, I would love to entertain it.

As far as RETUMBO, I am getting 2940+ with 90 grains of H50BMG with room left in the case for about 5 grains. This is a retorical question. What kind of pressure do you think RETUMBO would generate in my rifle with a 220 SMK? I have pressure problems with RETUMBO in my rig with 180's as it is and TONS of room left in the case. Thanks but no thanks. 338 bores are bigger with more burn area slowing powder down. My tight chamber, tight bore 300 is not very well adapted to RETUMBO.
Just curious, what type of action are you shooting? How far off the lands is the bullet for your loads in the 220s?

Lightvarmint

Last edited by Lightvarmint; 12-21-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: addtitional information request
Old 12-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightvarmint View Post
Just curious, what type of action are you shooting? How far off the lands is the bullet for your loads in the 220s?

Lightvarmint
Remington 700, 220's are 0.000" off the lands.