Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

300 Norma Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 Norma Mag

Without trying to badger you, the bottom line IMO is that a 300 Norma Mag is not going to get anywhere close to 2500 rounds of accuracy... accuracy meaning if you start shooting 1/2 MOA with it, it's probably going to open up to greater than .7 MOA long before 2000 rounds if you're shooting 65,000 psi

The only way a case design will increase barrel life is to lengthen the neck and sharpen the shoulders. But even that benefit is limited. When you torch your throat and bore with heat and pressure, it is going to have an affect on the steel. The 300 Norma Mag has a moderately long neck but only a 20* shoulder. There is really little to nothing about the case design that is conducive to long accuracy life.

I'm sure it's a fine cartridge, although I think it would be better with a 30* or sharper shoulder.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post

I'm sure it's a fine cartridge, although I think it would be better with a 30* or sharper shoulder.
Or 35* . I'll have one before too long.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Without trying to badger you, the bottom line IMO is that a 300 Norma Mag is not going to get anywhere close to 2500 rounds of accuracy... accuracy.
Badgering..no sir..im agreeing with u. I can only tell u what the designer told me. I have enough (maybe not as much as some) to know what affects barrel life and i see very little difference in the norma and the rum in terms of barrel eating ability! Just decided to post what i received from jimmy. Ive never even shot a norma so i couldnt speculate
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 10-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
Badgering..no sir..im agreeing with u. I can only tell u what the designer told me. I have enough (maybe not as much as some) to know what affects barrel life and i see very little difference in the norma and the rum in terms of barrel eating ability! Just decided to post what i received from jimmy. Ive never even shot a norma so i couldnt speculate
I just read the writeup for the 338 Noram Mag in Ammoguide. It says it's supposed to have better barrel life than the 338 Lapua. Maybe just a tad since it's a tad smaller in capacity. Other than the Norma being shorter and fatter at the shoulder, it is very much like the Lapua. I would like to know his reasoning. Sometimes creators go a little overboard in their promoting.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-06-2013, 06:04 AM
Silver Member

I agree. We all saw how long the .300 lapua lasted. There aare a few here and there but they eat through barrels like it's jello! Id say the .300nm will get u a LITTLE more barrel life.
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen