Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

.300 H&H Magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 11:58 AM

Re: .300 H&H Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
Any other input???
I just started a Stevens 200 rebuild with a McGowen 26" varmint contour barrel in 300 H&H. Haven't settled on a good stock yet so I just put the Plastic one back on and shot it that way. Nothing spectacular yet, but hopefully with good scope and stock I'll see some impressive results.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:33 PM

Re: .300 H&H Magnum

I've owned a couple of different rifles in the original .300 magnum and I've loved every one of them. I bought a Remington 721 from a cowboy in Arizona who carried it in a saddle scabbard. It was dirty with some wear from the scabbard, but he kept the bore and action clean and it hadn't been shot much at all. After a bit of accurizing work and some cosmetic repairs, I had that rifle shooting incredibly well with everything from a 120 gr. to a 190 gr. BTSP. I now have a 700 Classic (made in 1983) with a little custom work done and I have a Sako Safari in .300 H&H on the way.

You'll find that the .300 H&H is extremely versatile. The case design, unlike the other .30 magnums, allows for a lot of latitude in bullet length and seating depths, lets you tailor your handloads to exactly what the rifle likes and I've never found the recoil uncomfortable at all. Needless to say, I'm a big fan.