Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

.300 Ackley Magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

Re: .300 Ackley Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
You just never know if they will match. The best thing to do is make a casting of the chamber and check the dimensions or send the casting to RCBS.

+1

The other option is to send the die maker a fired case if you have one.

The chances of finding a die set are slim and as mentioned may not be the same as your chamber.

The rifle is worth the cost of a custom die set and if you ever want to sell it you can get a lot more for it with the dies.

Mine are Wilsons and the #3 is stamped on the dies.

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-16-2014, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
+1

The other option is to send the die maker a fired case if you have one.

The chances of finding a die set are slim and as mentioned may not be the same as your chamber.

The rifle is worth the cost of a custom die set and if you ever want to sell it you can get a lot more for it with the dies.

Mine are Wilsons and the #3 is stamped on the dies.

J E CUSTOM
I don't sell guns. I just buy more.

I'll have to see if I can get my smith to order me a set of dies, after I get that barrel from him. I already have a set of .300 Wby neck-sizer dies...Can I just use those? Or would the taper and shoulder of the .300 Ackley #3 be too wide to fit in there without pushing the walls or neck in?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

Oh yeah! Just scored a set of CH Tool & Die .300 Ackley dies on eBay for an awesome price. Now all I need is a donor-action (which I should be getting tomorrow afternoon), a BDL bottom metal setup, and a recoil lug, and my .300 Ackley build will begin soon.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 03-16-2014, 12:41 AM
Platinum Member

Well...My rifle is done, and at my house. There ends the good news...

Now for the bad news... My CH dies I scored on eBay are in-fact .300 Ackley dies, but are not cut to my chamber's specs. Apparantly they were cut to someone else's specs back in the 1950's when they were made. So, I'll probably just store them and keep them as a keepsake failure waste of $70... Those are a couple of expensive paperweights...

And now the money begins... I'm going to have Redding make me a sliding sleeve (based on a fire-formed cartridge from my chamber), so I can use my Redding Comp Bushing die for neck-sizing fired cases. But I still have to have a complete set of custom dies made, which is NOT gonna be cheap, or quick. And the sad part is I need dies, like yesterday...

Quote:
Old 03-16-2014, 01:33 AM
Silver Member

Mud...

You can have that die set modified by Jim Carstenen at JLC Precision
read this....
Bushing Dies and Die Conversions within AccurateShooter.com

JLC Precision (Jim Carstensen)
jlcprec@netins.net
13095 450th Ave
Bellevue, IA 52031
Shop phone: (563) 689-6258, cell: (563) 212-2984

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 03-16-2014, 02:10 AM
Platinum Member

They are older hardened heat-treated dies...But if he can do it, and it's nowhere bear the price of custom dies, and he can do it in a timely fashion, I will definitely go that route!

Thanks Pro!

Quote:
Old 03-16-2014, 03:08 AM
Silver Member

The 300 Ackley Mag is basically a 300 WBY with the curves ironed out, I like that concept a lot more than the venturi design, not that it makes any difference ballistically...

Ackley himself stated "Loading data is same as for the .300 Weatherby" in his book "Handbook For Shooters and Reloaders" (my copy of the book is an original 2nd printing 1963 , I also have his vol.2 1st printing 1966)

you should not have any problems obtaining reloading info, every single reloading manual has 300 WBY data......

here's a pic I took for ya from the book ..... his take on the 300 Impoved Magnum Ackley

Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
.300 Ackley Magnum-photo.jpg  

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud