Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

.300 Ackley Magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: .300 Ackley Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Actually PO Ackley built 3 different 300s They were called oddly enough the 300#1, 300#2 and the 300 #3 the number 3 was the largest of the three.

He was experimenting with trying to find out what it would take to overbore the cartridge and the point of diminishing returns.

There is a book on PO Ackley that talks about all three 300s.

I had the #3 300 and made my brass out of the 300 H&H brass. and as mentioned earlier the 300 Weatherby. I stopped shooting it because it became a collectors rifle because Ackley himself had built mine (It is a piece of art).

When he built the #3 he said it was to over bore and inefficient. (I wonder what he would say
about some of todays cartridges). The #1 was the shortest and had a powder capacity of just
under 70 grains. the #2 was lengthened just enough to re chamber a 30/06 without setting the chamber back. it had a powder capacity of 70 to 75 grains. The #3 has almost the same case capacity as the 300 Weatherby (around 80 grains of powder capacity).

I hope this helps you to determine which one you have.

J E CUSTOM
Thanks for the info bud! That was a nicely summarized lesson. You get props for that. And having a P.O. gun would be awesome.

The one my smith uses is the #3, because he fire-forms out of .300 Wby brass. But his has some special die dimensions or something.

JE, got any jdea where I might could get a good set of dies for the #3 model? I'd like a FL, Neck, & Seater set.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
You'll need custom dies based on your reamer. I would go with Whidden. A set will cost you about $270 plus shipping.
Yeah, I was afraid of having to pay the price for custom dies. Anybody know how much RCBS or Redding charges for a custom set?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 01-16-2014, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Yeah, I was afraid of having to pay the price for custom dies. Anybody know how much RCBS or Redding charges for a custom set?
Best thing to do is call and ask. If Redding has a print on file, you might get a break, but usually they are spendy. Hornady is another option, but I have both Whidden and Hornady customs and I like the Whidden dies better... plus Whidden will get them done a lot quicker.

The problem with the wildcats and AI's is there are so many variations, so usually there won't be a "standard" set available and a reamer print is required.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-16-2014, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

If you want a 300 AI, just do it off the 8X68S

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-16-2014, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

Is this the right dies? Looks to be, since the #3 was based on the big .300 H&H, right?

RCBS 2-Die Set 300 H&H Mag Improved 40-Degree Shoulder

RCBS Neck Sizer Die 300 H&H Mag Improved 40-Degree Shoulder

Quote:
Old 01-16-2014, 12:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
If you want a 300 AI, just do it off the 8X68S
I might have one designed... But the 8x68 Shuler case is a bit shorter than the .300 Wby and STW case

Quote:
Old 01-16-2014, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Is this the right dies? Looks to be, since the #3 was based on the big .300 H&H, right?

RCBS 2-Die Set 300 H&H Mag Improved 40-Degree Shoulder

RCBS Neck Sizer Die 300 H&H Mag Improved 40-Degree Shoulder
You just never know if they will match. The best thing to do is make a casting of the chamber and check the dimensions or send the casting to RCBS.

~ John Quincy Adams