Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

300 or 7mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2014, 12:15 PM
Gold Member

300 or 7mm

I am retiring my 7mm sendero ( showing a lot of throat loss, going to put away for the son to shot when he gets old enough). But I have a older 300 sendero that I really don't like to shot and my knowledge on the 7mmRM is far beyond that of the 300 win mag. So my question is if it where you would you take the 300 and build the 7mm of you dreams or just shut up and tackle the 300? Now my component stock for the 7mm is A LOT bigger the what I have for the 300. Now here what the rifle will be used for, deer, elk, muleys, speed goats, paper and steel. Also if I build the 7mm I will have a bunch of 300 stuff on here for sale
Old 08-19-2014, 12:47 PM
Gold Member

Re: 300 or 7mm

Well, if I didn't like shooting the 300 and the 7mm has always met my needs, and I knew the 7mm like the back of my hand. I would take the 300 and build the 7mm of my dreams. Somehow I just don't think I would be happy otherwise.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:10 PM
Gold Member

I would rebuild the eroded throat rifle into the dream rifle...

an armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians

know guns,know peace,know safety.no guns,no peace,no safety...

The second amendment is in place incase the politicians ignore the others

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

For those who trade liberty for security have neither Benjamin Franklin...
Old 08-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelnut View Post
Well, if I didn't like shooting the 300 and the 7mm has always met my needs, and I knew the 7mm like the back of my hand. I would take the 300 and build the 7mm of my dreams. Somehow I just don't think I would be happy otherwise.
Gotta agree 110%. If you love and know the 7mm, build the 300 into a custom 7.

You could always keep the .300 Sendero tube and build a .300 Ackley out of it. Very easy to develope a load for. And if it is the factory Sendero 1:10 barrels, it should like the 210 Berger VLD's. You simply fireform new .300 Wby brass into the Ackley chamber. No special seating depths, no seating into the lands, no nothing out of the ordinary. Simple and easy, because it's belted.

Just figured I'd throw out that option, to help save you some coin on a new tube. You could save that $350-450 for reloading components.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelnut View Post
Got to agree. I own both an shoot both. Both are great rounds! Like some on here, I've got more time with the 7mm mag( just got a warm spot in my heart for it) if you are comfortable with it, Shoot It! Build your dream rifle, because its on your mind an you know you want it. Lol. Serious, look at it like this, you will have one, your son will have one, that makes life great!!!!! Just my two cts!

DT
Old 08-19-2014, 04:26 PM
Gold Member

Ya I like that fact that my son and I would have a pair of 7's. And Mudd I don't know about that 300 ackley! Lol the 300 is just too big for everything I mentioned but the elk! Around here anyway. And big lean to would be the 1000 Berger 168's I just got in the mail!!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

I've always got a soft-spot for 7's.... Always have, always will. Got more 7's than anything else in my lineup. I was just mentioning an option to get more out of the .300 and save some cash without having to buy a new barrel.

Believe it or not, the .300 Ackley is actually very tame in the recoil department. Mine doesn't have a brake on it.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.