Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

30 WOLF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2003, 05:20 PM

Re: 30 WOLF

I have seen several displays of the .338 on game, including elk. DC, be honest, have you ever seen what 253 does to an Elk, after all those tungsten particles get finished blending all those organs into liquid pulp?

I have.

You have seen the 600 yd. accuracy of the Wolf, lucky as you think it is, have you shot any 5 shot groups at 600 yds. with your cannon that you would like to show us to compare?

I will bet my house on the fact that your big .338 does not have the pure accuracy of the Wolf on a Nesika. A 30 shot group might be a great statistical comparison. Lets keep it around 200 yards or so to keep the luck out of the equation.

Wyo, we are gonna need some paper targets. Maybe you should decide the range to shoot paper at to keep the Luck to a minimum. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2003, 06:02 PM
*WyoWhisper*

Given enough heads up we can have any target you can think of...

No need for artilery rounds.. this is all about accuracy and performance for any ones pocket book...

if you're loaded go all out with a razzle dazzle custom.. or does the Rem tricked out at 1/3 the cost do the same thing with a good smith behind the lathe???

This board is full af all types from well off to just getting started... done right the data and information compiled if this thing get pulled off could be invaluable for all involved..

The altitude is @ 5000 ft.
Humidity should be @ 20 -40 %
Temp could be from 40 in the early am to 80 during peak hours
now the wind is another story...
mirage was invented here!!!

ribbing is fun.. but can you imagine if this actually happens..
all the guns, all the loads, and all the information....

every gunsmith in our neighborhoods will be busy for months after this thing....
Old 01-06-2003, 06:32 PM

Wyo

I think you could make it the coolest thing going. I also think that some very careful planning about the types and ranges of targets could be designed to show the strengths and weaknesses of all the systems out there.

Many people confuse precision and accuracy, they are not the same thing. Precision type shooting formats with multiple shots will favor the runners with high dollar, heavy 1,000 yard benchrest rigs. We should definitely include this type of shooting. It will be just as important to include some unknown range one shot events, which often happen at long range. Not everyone gets to hunt animals that lay around for hours, and do not care if you fire spotters at them. Often hunters find game on the move to or from a feeding or bedding area, and you may only get one shot, or none if you do not produce it in a reasonable time frame.

So I think a mix as DC suggested would be the most interesting for the largest number of shooters. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

P.S. Got an extra long bed somewhere on the ranch, I want to get my reservation in early?
Old 01-06-2003, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

Ric, if you wouldnt mind I would like to come up. It will have to be before Oct. because I have a training cycle from Oct till Jan. The tommohawk will be ready by then,(and maybe something else [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ).
Old 01-06-2003, 06:58 PM
Gold Member

Man what did I start [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]? First it was the Family Reunion now [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]the shootout of the year. Glad to hear it. So are we moving the date from late Aug, early Sep to what? I'm coming my boss knows already.

Ric thanks again for the open invite!

S1,DC,Chris,Brent and everyone else that can make it would love to meet you all and get to know the faces that go with the guns [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img].

Now we just have to wait until the big event to see what happens.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:52 PM

Howdy Texas

It would be great to meet you in Wyoming, I bet I can talk STL_ Shooter into coming too.

I put my vote in for Mid August, that ought to make those W872 boys sweat a little, even if they don't perspire their favorite powder will!

Well, I guess I gotta go find some rocks to pack, better to have and not need....?

P.S. Do the rules at Williamsport even allow mirage, is mirage legal in the eastern States?
Old 01-06-2003, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

S1,I won't be using WC872.I save that powder for deer killin. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]