Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

30-378 Cartriges "what do you use?"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2005, 09:31 AM
Bronze Member

30-378 Cartriges \"what do you use?\"

I'm currently using 165 weatherby ballistic tips for deer. I was thinking about using 150 grain BT? Any thoughts here. My goal is to shoot deer at 1000 yards, my furthest has been 643 yards. I've read what I can, but is there any more information books, articles, that would help me become a better shooter? I just started rifle hunting a few years ago so any information is appreciated.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: 30-378 Cartriges \"what do you use?\"

ZIMM,

Best single bit of advice I can give you is to get rid of the light weight bullets and shoot at least a 200 gr ULD or VLD bullet. With the case capacity of the 30-378, I would personally not recommend anything less then 200 gr to be used and actually feel the 220 gr class of bullets is a better choice for the case capacity.

Don;t get caught up in velocity here. If your serious about making consistant hits at 1K, get the right bullets for the job, a 150 gr BT or 165 gr BT are not the bullets to use.

It is not bullet drop that will get you at 1000 yards, its wind drift. The High BC bullets will dramatically cut your wind drift at 1000 yards.

Just my opinion but you will find many others that started out trying to horsepower light bullets out to long range and once they learned more velocity had little to do with accuracy at long range or being able to consistantly make hits at long range, they have all turned to the heavy VLD or ULD type bullets.

Also, with your huge capacity in the 30-378, the 200 gr class bullets and heavier will in most cases really settle the big cases down so your consistancy is generally much better with the heavy bullets.

Just a recommendation. Try a 200 gr Accubond or 200-220 gr SMK or order in some +200 gr Wildcat ULD RBBTs, you will not be unhappy.

Remember bullet drop is easy to figure and correct for, its wind drift that is the huge variable at long range.

Just my opinion, but I suspect you will be hearing more of this as more replies come in.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-10-2005, 10:51 AM
SPONSOR

[ QUOTE ]
Just my opinion but you will find many others that started out trying to horsepower light bullets out to long range and once they learned more velocity had little to do with accuracy at long range or being able to consistantly make hits at long range, they have all turned to the heavy VLD or ULD type bullets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm one of those!!! Check out this link. These posts were among the first I made on LRH. I've learned alot in a year!!!!

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...=true#Post57664

I went from a 125 gr to a 240 in my RUM and couldn't be happier. Listen to these guys. They know what they're talking about!!!
Old 12-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Lighter and faster is not always better. In the situation you are shooting for (deer @ 1K+) 150 ballistic tips are not the answer. Minimum of a 180 class bullet (including the 175 SMK and 178 AMAX) up to the 240 SMK. 180 ACCUBOND or 200 ACCUBONDS are always a good choice also.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with the above posters. You need at least a 180g bullet at the minimum. The heavier the better in your case. I shoot a 300 RUM. 200 and 220's seem to be the best compromise. I just got back from the range as a matter of fact. I was shooting 1150 yards at a "white rock". It appears to be about 8-10" around. After the first shot, which I was 1 ft. low, and dead center left right. I proceeded to hit that white rock 2 of my next 3 shots. The one I missed was just a tad high and to the right. I would say the 3 shot group was 10-12" or MOA. I am more then satisfied with that coming from a factory sporter weight hunting rifle. I am shooting the 210g VLD by Berger. I have not cronied the load, but went by 3000fps and entered .640 for BC, and it put me within 5 clicks at 1150. You can still see the impact pretty well at 1150 yards with these size bullets.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:10 PM
Bronze Member

I started out using 200 grain but they where going straight through the deer at 300 hards. The ballistic tips do a much better job at taking the deer down.
I was also thinking about taking my leupold and sending to a guy that can customize the reticle for the long range shot. What is everyones opinions on that.
Z
Old 12-10-2005, 08:44 PM
SPONSOR

[ QUOTE ]
I started out using 200 grain but they where going straight through the deer at 300 hards.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your concerned about the bullet performance, use the 200 gr Accubond. You will get adequate expansion. Keep in mind that as range increases, velocity drops and bullet expansion will also be less dramatic.

[ QUOTE ]
I was also thinking about taking my leupold and sending to a guy that can customize the reticle for the long range shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will work just fine for minute of deer out to about 600 yds. After that the atmospheric conditions and velocity difference in varying temps will probably be enough to cause a miss. Learn to use target knobs and shoot your rifle in the conditions you will be hunting. With a little a practice, you will know how many MOA to dial at various ranges in varying conditions.