close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Reply

30/375 s.i. Reduced load vs deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 11-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: rathdrum, id.
Posts: 5,013
30/375 s.i. Reduced load vs deer

Hi guys.....I wanted to try out a 208 SXR on some long range meat but didn't get a chance so I loaded up 22 grains of 4198 for a muzzle velocity of 1486' and shot a small whitetail buck at just under 100 yards. My plan was to shoot him front on and recover the bullet but he spotted me and took off so I shot him through the front of the shoulders. The impact velocity was probably barely under 1400'. As the pics show, not much meat was waisted but I knocked a 50 cent piece sized hole through the offside and put him right down. This would duplicate a 1550 yard impact. The aorta was blown off the top of the heart......Rich30/375 s.i. Reduced load vs deer-dscf0239.jpg

30/375 s.i. Reduced load vs deer-dscf0241.jpg
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 11-25-2012, 09:51 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2012
    Location: ND
    Posts: 2,801
    Re: 30/375 s.i. Reduced load vs deer

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
    Hi guys.....I wanted to try out a 208 SXR on some long range meat but didn't get a chance so I loaded up 22 grains of 4198 for a muzzle velocity of 1486' and shot a small whitetail buck at just under 100 yards. My plan was to shoot him front on and recover the bullet but he spotted me and took off so I shot him through the front of the shoulders. The impact velocity was probably barely under 1400'. As the pics show, not much meat was waisted but I knocked a 50 cent piece sized hole through the offside and put him right down. This would duplicate a 1550 yard impact. The aorta was blown off the top of the heart......RichAttachment 15035

    Attachment 15036
    Wow thats impressive! They fragment at that velocity right?
    __________________

    I'm 18
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
    ~George Washington

    "The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
    ~ JE Custom

    Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

    My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 11-25-2012, 10:01 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Location: rathdrum, id.
    Posts: 5,013
    Re: 30/375 s.i. Reduced load vs deer

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
    Wow thats impressive! They fragment at that velocity right?
    Not really; just expand! Fragmentation is probably around 2500'......Rich
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 11-25-2012, 10:03 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2012
    Location: ND
    Posts: 2,801
    Re: 30/375 s.i. Reduced load vs deer

    Oh, i thought from your testing in water they fragmented at low velocity but act like a bonded at high velocity.
    __________________

    I'm 18
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
    ~George Washington

    "The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
    ~ JE Custom

    Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

    My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 11-25-2012, 10:04 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Location: rathdrum, id.
    Posts: 5,013
    Re: 30/375 s.i. Reduced load vs deer

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
    Wow thats impressive! They fragment at that velocity right?
    Not really; just expand! Fragmentation is probably around 2500'. The first pic is actually the entry hole. If you look closely, you can see the exit which looks a little smaller. I think this was due to the rib explosion .....Rich
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 11-25-2012, 10:08 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Location: rathdrum, id.
    Posts: 5,013
    Re: 30/375 s.i. Reduced load vs deer

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
    Oh, i thought from your testing in water they fragmented at low velocity but act like a bonded at high velocity.
    This was a standard (non-bonded) bullet. Actually, the opposite is true (fragment high, mushroom low)......Rich
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 11-25-2012, 10:16 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2012
    Location: ND
    Posts: 2,801
    Re: 30/375 s.i. Reduced load vs deer

    Ok, i was confused (obviously) .
    __________________

    I'm 18
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
    ~George Washington

    "The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
    ~ JE Custom

    Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

    My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: 30/375 s.i. Reduced load vs deer
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Need reduced load for 7mmWSM Sako7STW Reloading 5 02-09-2010 11:38 PM
    Rem-LTR 308 deer load Old Coach Reloading 3 09-07-2009 09:45 PM
    reduced 243 load for daughter grit Reloading 5 07-30-2008 04:06 PM
    7mm STW Deer load jwcrabb Reloading 9 01-20-2008 11:10 AM
    reduced load for 7mm stw? ndriverhunter Reloading 4 09-03-2006 06:41 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC