Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

30/338 Lapua

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2003, 11:49 PM

Re: 30/338 Lapua

DC
35 degrees

118 to 121 gr. water capacity depending on lot of brass.

Yes, I created and tested 9 versions of 30/378, and 30/338 Lapua variants, and the Wolf is the superior configuration.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:17 AM
Silver Member

Texas, I think I asked for an AMax between 210 and 220. Steve said there's no demand, so he doesn't place it at high priority. We did not discuss a particular threshold for him to make them.

Darryl, note that this thread was not meant to discuss the merits of my (most excellent) rifle, or of any particular bullet's merit for 1000 yard benchrest shooting. Rather, Wayne asked about a cartridge which I have particular knowledge - the 30/338 Lapua. But I digress...

1) the St. Louis Benchrest club has a maximum range of 600 yards. Those (4) 3/8 MOA 5-shot groups were shot at 600 yards.

2) thanks for the history lesson on your club - although inappropriate in this particular message thread - it was...umm, educational.

3) yes, I do have a fine shooting rifle and yes, I am doing "great" compared to where I was a year ago.
Old 03-04-2003, 03:57 PM
Gold Member

S1,if its not too much to ask what type of barrel taper are you using?
Old 03-04-2003, 05:18 PM

It depends on the length, but we almost always put eight flutes in the barrel. On a Lilja barrel the fluting has no impact on accuracy.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:59 PM

I want to thank everone for their posts. Keep them coming! Thank you Brent for all your help, Darryl too.
S1,
Would you consider putting together a rifle with an action other than a Nesika and a Lilja barrel. I am going to use a Geske action and a Pac-Nor barrel and am interestd in your 30 Wolf.
Thanks again,
Wayne

[ 03-04-2003: Message edited by: Wayne McD ]
Old 03-04-2003, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

S1

"I have built many rifles capable of shooting world record groups at 1000 yards. However, they are in fact not world record rifles, they do not shoot in competitions, nor are they legal at Williamsport or any other thousand yards benchrest range. These rifles shoot off bi pods that are not legal, using superior brakes that are not legal, using superior barrel tapers that are not legal. It is unfortunate that so many of the classes at 1000 yard ranges are so constrained."

You need to research some more before making broad characterizations of 1k shooting like that.

It is true that PA (Williamsport) has some stringent rules on tapers for LG(only)etc which can effect which type of muzzle brake you use. Anyone gun that will shoot off a bipod, will also shoot on a rest also. However, IBS 1000 yard does not have those rules. You can use any taper barrel, any muzzle brake (except clamshell, just make the 17 lb limit for LG (5 shots) and anything over 17 lb is HG (10 shots). (Checking on legality of bipods now, just never had anyone want to use them). Iowa and Ohio both have a full 10 match IBS 1K schedule this year starting in April. One is 4 hours from you and the other about 6-8 hrs. Tom Sarver (Yogishooter) runs the Ohio club, is on this site and BR Central, so easy to get in touch with. Some of us in VA are going to shoot in his matches this year a lot to help them get started.

The IBS National championships are in VA this year on Labor day weekend, which is 14 hours from your. I know, have driven in more times than I care to think about (originally from MO about 100 miles from you). About $35-40K in prizes will be given away also. The top LG, HG and Overall champ walked away with over $2k of prizes EACH last year, they choose out of the pile, (action and scope normally). BAT, Neseika, and Viper actions, NF scopes, Leupolds, barrels by all makers etc. Everyone won some type of prize to include NF scopes down to cans of powder.

This is a 3 agg match for each class over two days so true best shot wins. Luck goes out the window with 3 aggs normally. However you will be shooting against about 150-200 of the best 1k shooters worldwide. You have to be on your game, and shoot better than (probably to win) 3 sub 4" groups (5 shots) for LG and 3 sub 5" groups (10 shots). As for breaking the IBS 1K records for groups, it is 1.564" 5 shots for LG and 3.472" for HG (10 shots). You and your guns better be smokin, but wish you the best of luck to do it!

So if you truly are building winning guns, you do have the venues available to prove it IF you want to. Imagine it would be a big boon for business.

Remember, the only "line in the sand" preventing you, is "self inflicted" in this case.

It truly is going to be a fun match, we are working deals on hotels for cut rates now also. Info will be up on www.virgina1000.com later in year for registration etc. Registration costs for practice day on Friday and 2 match days will be under $100 which will include 2 meal tickets. Bring all your buddies, shoot to win, but have fun and walk away with the goodies!

Good luck

BH
Old 03-04-2003, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

S1

That was a VERY broad statement you made about building World Record 1000 yard rifles when you or your rifles have not competed in matches at 1000 yard clubs that I am familar with and that I am aware of.
The proof is in doing it don't you think?

I'm all for an "unlimited class" for guys like you and then, anything goes.
Your rifles would then be legal to shoot.

As it is, everyone is on the same level playing field and work within the rule structure to get the best accuracy capable from their rifles and the 1000 yard shooting members are doing just that..

I think a "10 shot" 1000 yard group World Record of 3.151" at 1022 yards is real good. Do you think you could build a rifle capable of that accuracy and then doing it?
How about a 10 shot record of 4.500" with a 16 1/2 LB light gun with a strict rule structure?
Could you build one to do That and stay within the rules to do it?
If you can, bring them to Williamsport or any other 1000 range and compete with us. We would like to have you.

Every sport has rules to abide by and all competitors work within that structure to compete. Rifle classes at Williamsport were made to do just that. Even car races have strict rules to abide by and they seem to break records every year for speed.

Maybe someday an unlimited class for you guys. I tried to get one two years ago but, it didn't fly.

Just build one that shoots good, stays within our rule structure and come shoot with us. That shouldn't be so hard to do.

Later
DC [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[ 03-04-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]