Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

30-06 barrel length

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 30-06 barrel length

Thank you mudrunner. I seriously thought about a 26" barrel. I'm just afraid it will be a bit cumbersome. It will be used to hunt out of tree stands and carry around. I was thinking barrel contour either 3 or 4. I am not a fan of short rifles just like I'm not a fan of short bows. Just not a stable to hold for me.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1 View Post
Thank you mudrunner. I seriously thought about a 26" barrel. I'm just afraid it will be a bit cumbersome. It will be used to hunt out of tree stands and carry around. I was thinking barrel contour either 3 or 4. I am not a fan of short rifles just like I'm not a fan of short bows. Just not a stable to hold for me.
Glad I could help, but don't just go off my opinions. This is your rifle and your hard-earned money, so in the end do what you want to do, that way you will be happy with it.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Bronze Member

Not to worry. I'm still in the planning stage.

Is there anything else I should be having done to this rifles that I'm missing?
Old 12-06-2013, 01:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1 View Post
Not to worry. I'm still in the planning stage.

Is there anything else I should be having done to this rifles that I'm missing?
If you don't mind fire-forming brass, you could ream the chamber to .30-06 Ackley Improved. To fire-form all you have to do is shoot your regular .30-06 loads in it, and when it fires them the first time, it forms the brass to the chamber, and out pops fully formed .30-06 Ackley Improved brass. You will need to buy a set of .30-06 Ackley Improved dies for reloading, but for the performance and ballistic gains and increases you get, the small price to pay for a set of dies is minimal in the long run.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:23 AM
Bronze Member

Believe it or not that was another thought of mine as well. I have a thread in the general section asking about that. Just not sure the little extra velocity is worth it. Some say I'll get only 25-50fps. Some say 100. Some say depends on the rifle. Some shine and some don't. And I'm sure that's why there is such a variance in the velocity gains seen by those who have it.

However, there is a little bit of a unique factor involved in it. My nosler book states a solid 100fps gain especially with the heavier bullets.
Funny, even with a simple build like this there are still plenty of decisions
Old 12-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member

fo 200 yards and less my 20" sako mannlicher 30-06 is plenty for deer here. you are building get what you want.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

If it were me I would go with at least the #4 Magnum Sporter Shilen barrel. I have one of this size that is 27 3/4" long on a Rem 700 in 264 Win mag. With this size it would not be too heavy to carry easy if 24" long but would add just enough weight to shoot good. I have a 26" #6 in 25-06 that really handles great for shooting but is a bit heavy to be carrying around all day with that big old 30mm 3-12X56 Zeiss and H-S Precision varmint stock.

P.S. If you are going after the average white tail deer under 300 yards give the 125 gr Nosler ballistic tip a try in your 30-06. Just keep your impact velocity under 3000 fps. I have killed over 50 deer with this bullet and it hammers them DRT 99% of the time. Give 53.1 grs Varget a try.