Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

30-06 Barrel Contour / Length

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 30-06 Barrel Contour / Length

Swampfox.....As others have asked; is this for target or hunting? This may well help you decide on barrel contour. An 'o6 will gain approx. 40 fps for each inch of barrel length depending on load. If you are only choosing between the two factory loads that you mentioned, The SST's will probably out perform the trophy bonded bullets for either target or hunting beyond 500 yards as they are usually more accurate and will expand better at lower velocities. They also buck the wind better with the higher b.c. I would go with a 10 twist as it will stabilize anything you would probably shoot in an '06. ........Rich
Old 12-30-2012, 08:53 AM

The intended use for this weapon is long-range hunting; of course, number of rounds chambered will be significantly higher at the range. If the question is focused on handling / stability, it will have a 'pod' on the fore-end; to help hit the target at longer ranges.

On the other hand, carry-weight could factor into the decision; as I'm no "spring chicken" (I can actually remember the 1960's)...

Thanks for all the advice so far; very helpful !!!
Old 12-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Silver Member

Excellent! So now it is a question of what you will be hunting. For example, your max range for a deer sized animal will be farther than a moose or elk sized animal. Have a look at the rifles Len builds. They are experience and purpose built. It will give you an idea of barrel profiles that are proven winners, and portable in the field. I have a #4 on my current rig, kinda wish I had gone #3 after toting it around last season. But, I dont see 1000 yard shots.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Silver Member

25 inches , #4 contour, 10 twist, what I would do. Since factory ammo is going to be used I don't think going with a longer barrel will be much of an advantage. As a carry rifle length and contour should be comfortable to deal with and still handle nice. My first centerfire was an "06 ( 14 years old at the time) have 3 in the cabinet, still hunt with one occasionally, the round can do a lot. Am in agreement with another poster if long range is what you want to do, go with 300wm. With a good brake, rifle can be built light enough to be pack around and still be pleasant to shoot. Along that line I'd go with 26" #4.