close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Reply

30-06 Ackley Improved

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 11-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: West Central Idaho
Posts: 1,218
30-06 Ackley Improved

I have this Pre 64 Mdl 70 30-06 that I’m going to re-barrel and was going to leave it an 06 because of the mild recoil and it has sentimental value. Got reading about the Ackley Improved version and kinda like that. I all ready have a Brux 30 cal barrel so there is really no added expense to chamber for the Ackley.

If you compare the standard 06 using the Nosler Reloading Guide you can see an increase in fps of 100 to 120 depending….. Now the test rifles used a 24” barrel so if I leave the new barrel 26” do you fellas that know think I could pick up another 50 fps giving somewhere between 150 & 200 fps total increase over the standard 06? Also wouldn’t the head spacing be more consistent because of the 40 degree shoulder thus making a more accurate rifle?

I know and understand that’s not much but it would increase the usable range by 100+ yards and it would be a solid elk getter at 700yards using the 200gr Accubond.
__________________
Jim



There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 11-09-2010, 04:27 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: OHIO
    Posts: 2,417
    Re: 30-06 Ackley Improved

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
    I have this Pre 64 Mdl 70 30-06 that I’m going to re-barrel and was going to leave it an 06 because of the mild recoil and it has sentimental value. Got reading about the Ackley Improved version and kinda like that. I all ready have a Brux 30 cal barrel so there is really no added expense to chamber for the Ackley.

    If you compare the standard 06 using the Nosler Reloading Guide you can see an increase in fps of 100 to 120 depending….. Now the test rifles used a 24” barrel so if I leave the new barrel 26” do you fellas that know think I could pick up another 50 fps giving somewhere between 150 & 200 fps total increase over the standard 06? Also wouldn’t the head spacing be more consistent because of the 40 degree shoulder thus making a more accurate rifle?

    I know and understand that’s not much but it would increase the usable range by 100+ yards and it would be a solid elk getter at 700yards using the 200gr Accubond.
    hmmmmm. a PRE 64 model 70 and you are going to CHANGE it???? Are you certain you want to do that?

    Ackley didn't improve much of anything with his modifications. JMO, but you'd be wise to leave that rifle alone. A 30-06AI is absolutely not worth it. My .06 shoots as well as a 308 and I have at least 5 loads that shoot sub and 1/2 MOA. The AI version will not improve a thing, IMO.

    The ONLY AI worth having is a 280, with the 260 a close second but even the latter is a waste of time IMO. Just a wish from me but PLEASE don't change that pre 64 model 70. For the money you could get for it selling it you could build a really fine custom rifle, that is, if you want to part with it.

    Here's the best advice I can give you: keep that model 70 as is and don't modify a thing. You want a 30 with a little more juice, get a 300 WSM, or Ruger 30 compact magnum. Before you change that rifle, I highly recommend you get it appraised.
    __________________
    Derek M.

    Last edited by Derek M.; 11-09-2010 at 04:34 PM.
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 11-09-2010, 04:31 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: May 2001
    Posts: 378
    Re: 30-06 Ackley Improved

    +1,000,000,000

    Why not just shoot the new Hornady Superformance loads? 165gr or 180gr at 100-150fps faster than factory. Exact same specs as the 30-06AI, and you don't have to change a thing on that desirable rifle!!!!!!
    __________________
    God Bless and Shoot Straight
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 11-09-2010, 04:35 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: OHIO
    Posts: 2,417
    Re: 30-06 Ackley Improved

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the444shooter View Post
    +1,000,000,000

    Why not just shoot the new Hornady Superformance loads? 165gr or 180gr at 100-150fps faster than factory. Exact same specs as the 30-06AI, and you don't have to change a thing on that desirable rifle!!!!!!
    I'm not so sure he knows exactly what he has in his possession!!
    __________________
    Derek M.
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 11-09-2010, 06:10 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: West Central Idaho
    Posts: 1,218
    Re: 30-06 Ackley Improved

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
    I'm not so sure he knows exactly what he has in his possession!!

    Thanks for the responses. I do know what I have! I bought the rifle new in 1963 and have used it every season sense. Because of military ammo for practice way back then I burned out the factory barrel. There has been a lot of game taken and a lot of practice over the years and it is now on the third barrel and it’s about gone. The stock on the rifle is number four. All except one have been replaced because of horse wrecks the exception a synthetic stock from Pacific Research when they first became available.

    I ask a simple question and am told….. “I’m not sure he knows exactly what he has in his possession” Thanks for all the crap you fellas have just spit out!! I will consider your recommendations.
    __________________
    Jim



    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

    Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 11-09-2010, 06:16 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: OHIO
    Posts: 2,417
    Re: 30-06 Ackley Improved

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
    I ask a simple question and am told….. “I’m not sure he knows exactly what he has in his possession” Thanks for all the crap you fellas have just spit out!! I will consider your recommendations.
    Jim you have my sincere apology. On a forum, we can't tell anything about the poster in many cases and sometimes folks have a real prize and just don't realize it. Now that we know the history of the rifle, then my recommendation is to keep it in 30.06 with your brux bbl.

    I sure didn't mean to offend you.

    Respectfully,

    Derek
    __________________
    Derek M.
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 11-09-2010, 06:28 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: West Central Idaho
    Posts: 1,218
    Re: 30-06 Ackley Improved

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
    Jim you have my sincere apology. On a forum, we can't tell anything about the poster in many cases and sometimes folks have a real prize and just don't realize it. Now that we know the history of the rifle, then my recommendation is to keep it in 30.06 with your brux bbl.

    I sure didn't mean to offend you.

    Respectfully,

    Derek

    Derek M
    Appreciate your response. That is the kind of info I’m looking for. You and four of my shooting buddies are in agreement. Well… “Ackley Improved” sounds good anyway. It will more than likely stay a stock 06.
    __________________
    Jim



    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

    Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: 30-06 Ackley Improved
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    7mm stw ackley improved?? dodgefreak8 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 7 01-24-2013 11:02 PM
    Ackley improved or Ackley changed north of 53 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 10 10-19-2008 03:49 PM
    .270 Win Ackley Improved? Death Ray 7 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 5 03-13-2008 03:53 PM
    30-06 Ackley Improved Wind Dancer Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 11 02-11-2005 10:02 PM
    243 Ackley Improved Terry Brady Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 5 11-01-2003 02:05 AM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC