Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

View Poll Results: Which caliber to switch to?
300 Ultra Mag 15 36.59%
338 Win mag 1 2.44%
308 Norma Mag 4 9.76%
Something Else 21 51.22%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

30/06 to 300WM, 300RUM, 308NM, or...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 30/06 to 300WM, 300RUM, 308NM, or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
It looks like what you have is what they called a mtn. rifle. I admit that I have not read thru the thread so you can ignore this if you have already covered it! You could EASILY convert it to 300 Sherman with out altering the boltface or anything. In fact, you could simply run the Sherman reamer thru the chamber and get 300 WSM performance. Since it doesn't shoot well now, you may not want to do that though as it could be the barrel. I don't know if you are into wildcats or not, and of course this is a wildcat. If you did want to open the boltface, I have a couple of 30/375 S.I.'s that shoot very well. It is also a wildcat that has the 375 Ruger as a parent case so has no belt. I can reach 3100' with the 215 Bergers in a 28" barrel. I have the reamers and can get good custom dies for either. The other options are of course endless, and you have probably already heard a lot of them.......Rich
p.s. They started making the 700 in 1962 and the mtn rifle was several years later. I suspect that yours is a mid to late 80's model since they didn't start making them until '86? They did make a custom deluxe 700 BDL with a 20" barrel back in the 60's (I have one) but yours is an ADL.........Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
B&C Medalist stocks are awesome for the money. However, just like any stock you will need to have it bedded.

And as for barrels, Bartlein, Rock Creek, Brux, Mueller, Benchmark, Krieger, or any of those guys will make an excellent barrel.
I noticed you both commented on a thread regarding the 300 Sherman back in 2008. Do either of you still have a 300 Sherman? This does sound like the easiest option out there. I was even thinking of buying a different barrel for the 700 since this is a Mnt. rifle. Do you know it a guy can buy a pre-reamed barrel for would I still need to have a smithy do it? There's a smith at a local range here that will let you "help" him for $70 an hour do work on your own gun. Kinda fun if you ask me! Do you have any barrel suggestions? Also, what about the 6.5 if I'm getting a new barrel anyway?
Old 04-24-2014, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

I never had a .300 Sherman, but was looking into building one. I still might turn my .30-06 AI into one later on, but for now it's shooting good. The extra capacity would be nice to have since I am shooting the Berger 185 VLD's. I would like to see it pushing them close to the 3K mark with my 26" 1:12 barrel. I went the .30-06 AI route for the time being, since dies were readily availble, and my smith had a reamer already, and I was itching to get that project built so I could shoot it.

I would PM Rich (elkaholic) about his Sherman calibers, if you are interested in them. If anyone can give you the info you need, it is him.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4974 View Post
I noticed you both commented on a thread regarding the 300 Sherman back in 2008. Do either of you still have a 300 Sherman? This does sound like the easiest option out there. I was even thinking of buying a different barrel for the 700 since this is a Mnt. rifle. Do you know it a guy can buy a pre-reamed barrel for would I still need to have a smithy do it? There's a smith at a local range here that will let you "help" him for $70 an hour do work on your own gun. Kinda fun if you ask me! Do you have any barrel suggestions? Also, what about the 6.5 if I'm getting a new barrel anyway?
hawk..........I am the developer of the 300 Sherman and have the reamer and go gauge. It is a sweet cartridge and a very easy conversion. I can get custom dies for it from Whidden in about 10 weeks.
I know someone who MIGHT be willing to pre fit a barrel if you wanted to. I also have two versions of the 6.5 Sherman. It can also be done in 270 or 280. You can pm me if you want or just call and chat at (208)755-6723.....thanks/Rich