Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

View Poll Results: Which caliber to switch to?
300 Ultra Mag 15 36.59%
338 Win mag 1 2.44%
308 Norma Mag 4 9.76%
Something Else 21 51.22%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

30/06 to 300WM, 300RUM, 308NM, or...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Silver Member

Re: 30/06 to 300WM, 300RUM, 308NM, or...

I'm a Remington guy...from an action standpoint anyways. My LR guns are built on 700's and a 721 because I already had the actions but that's about all that is left factory on them.

I wouldn't hesitate to go with the LR Remmy though. They have had a few problem children make their way out of the factory but so has everyone else. I think it's simple math and they sell more rifles than anyone else in the US but the problem percentage has got to be extremely small when compared to total sales volume.
You can't build the solid reputation that they have by continually putting out crap.

The vast majority of Remington rifles will shoot around 3/4MOA out of the box with good handloading workup...some much better, some a little worse. The aftermarket support is great, which means tons of options when you decide to tinker with it later.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

I've been shooting 700's since 1970 and there is no doubt that they are having a little more trouble now than with the earlier models. That said, they are still one of the best actions out there as can be seen on the competition circuit. I've not heard of too many senderos that won't shoot, and I would definitely use the 700 action for a custom........Rich
Old 02-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Gold Member

+1 Rich and Hook. My experience with Remington has been nothing but excellent and will continue using the Model 700s in the future as factory rifles and for customs. I've also had great success with other Remingtons like their .22s and shotguns.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:36 PM
Bronze Member

I was talking everything over with my dad about the 30/06 and I think we may just put a new barrel and stock on it and see what happens. Can anyone recommend a fairly affordable stock and barrel? The '06 will do everything I need it to do. I may actually put a break on it to watch the target.

Plus, I may sell my x-bolt 300 wsm and get a Sendero next year. I love the way the Remington feels (palm, trigger shoe, cheek, etc) I've just been really upset with the QC. I'm surprised at the lack of aftermarket parts for the x-bolt. Why is that?

I know I just said a lot in this last statement and there's about 3 different threads I could do here.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4974 View Post
I was talking everything over with my dad about the 30/06 and I think we may just put a new barrel and stock on it and see what happens. Can anyone recommend a fairly affordable stock and barrel? The '06 will do everything I need it to do. I may actually put a break on it to watch the target.

Plus, I may sell my x-bolt 300 wsm and get a Sendero next year. I love the way the Remington feels (palm, trigger shoe, cheek, etc) I've just been really upset with the QC. I'm surprised at the lack of aftermarket parts for the x-bolt. Why is that?

I know I just said a lot in this last statement and there's about 3 different threads I could do here.
The quality barrels are all going to run about the same ($340+-) the difference being time to get one. Benchmark you can get in a couple months and most other quality barrels may take 6 mo. or more. Sometimes you can find inventory barrels in a Krieger in a couple different places. Boyd makes a pretty good inexpensive stock.......Rich
Old 02-19-2014, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4974 View Post

B&C Medalist stocks are awesome for the money. However, just like any stock you will need to have it bedded.

And as for barrels, Bartlein, Rock Creek, Brux, Mueller, Benchmark, Krieger, or any of those guys will make an excellent barrel.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:57 PM
Bronze Member

How hard is it to remove the barrel and put the new one on yourself? I'll more than likely pay someone to do it but it would be neat to do it yourself. I've bedded a stock before so that shouldn't be an issue. Should I float it as well? I've heard from others that when it's bedded, floating is not necessary.