Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

View Poll Results: Which caliber to switch to?
300 Ultra Mag 15 36.59%
338 Win mag 1 2.44%
308 Norma Mag 4 9.76%
Something Else 21 51.22%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

30/06 to 300WM, 300RUM, 308NM, or...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 07:15 PM
Bronze Member

30/06 to 300WM, 300RUM, 308NM, or...

I have an old (1950's 1960's) Remington 700 in 30/06 that I want to covert to something different. The problem with the rifle is I can't get a load to shoot even halfway decent out of it. It's got a short barrel (20"?) on it with a metal butt plate. It doesn't even have a magazine plate on it, you have to empty the gun by working the action. It looks just like the picture I'm attaching.

I know that most custom builders use the Remington action so I'm sure there are plenty of options out there. I have no clue where to go, how to start, or if I should just take the action somewhere and pay someone. Here are my questions:

1. I know you can easily convert a 30/06 to a 308 Norma Magnum but is it a good round? Everything I've read about them seems positive except for the brass.

2. Can it be converted to a 300 RUM or a 338WM? I've seen threads about converting to 300 WM but not the RUM or .338WM. I figure if I'm going to change the whole thing why not look at my options.

3. If it possible to do this stuff, where do I start? I worked at a gun shop/shooting range all through high school and some college and I am no gunsmith by any means! I'd like to do as much as I can myself but I will definitely take it elsewhere to get the important things worked on. BTW, I'm in Mesa, AZ if anyone is a custom builder out there that is willing to help me out!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
30/06 to 300WM, 300RUM, 308NM, or...-1999700_01_remington_700_made_in_1960_s_640.jpg  
Old 02-13-2014, 07:25 PM
Gold Member

Re: 30/06 to 300WM, 300RUM, 308NM, or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4974 View Post
I have an old (1950's 1960's) Remington 700 in 30/06 that I want to covert to something different. The problem with the rifle is I can't get a load to shoot even halfway decent out of it. It's got a short barrel (20"?) on it with a metal butt plate. It doesn't even have a magazine plate on it, you have to empty the gun by working the action. It looks just like the picture I'm attaching.

I know that most custom builders use the Remington action so I'm sure there are plenty of options out there. I have no clue where to go, how to start, or if I should just take the action somewhere and pay someone. Here are my questions:

1. I know you can easily convert a 30/06 to a 308 Norma Magnum but is it a good round? Everything I've read about them seems positive except for the brass.

2. Can it be converted to a 300 RUM or a 338WM? I've seen threads about converting to 300 WM but not the RUM or .338WM. I figure if I'm going to change the whole thing why not look at my options.

3. If it possible to do this stuff, where do I start? I worked at a gun shop/shooting range all through high school and some college and I am no gunsmith by any means! I'd like to do as much as I can myself but I will definitely take it elsewhere to get the important things worked on. BTW, I'm in Mesa, AZ if anyone is a custom builder out there that is willing to help me out!
The easiest route is to make it a .308 Norma Magnum. This cartridge was designed to fit in standard length actions such as yours. Only thing that needs done is the bolt face needs opened up and rechambered. The problem is, you won't use it to its full potential with a 22" barrel that are on the old Remington 700 ADLs. You can most likely make the '06 shoot. It may just need the barrel free floated to improve the groups. What have you shot out of it as far as loads?

If you want to make it a custom and have never done full on gunsmithing, take it somewhere. Even the easiest of things can turn into disasters if you're unsure on what you are doing. Rechambering requires good lathe skills and knowledge on how to properly chamber a rifle. Free floating is easy though, and this may be all your rifle needs.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:38 PM
Bronze Member

I free floated the barrel a couple of years ago. I've used 165 Hornadays BTSP, 168 TTSX, 180Accubond, 180 Speer BT, 200 Accubond, 180TTSX, 150 Hornaday SST, And a couple others that I can't remember. The powder options I've used are IMR3031, IMR4350, & IMR4831 with all of these bullets.

I'm wanting to change the barrel and everything. I imagine the parts alone will cost $1,000+ by the time I'm done but I want to build something larger than a 300WSM that I normally shoot.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4974 View Post
I free floated the barrel a couple of years ago. I've used 165 Hornadays BTSP, 168 TTSX, 180Accubond, 180 Speer BT, 200 Accubond, 180TTSX, 150 Hornaday SST, And a couple others that I can't remember. The powder options I've used are IMR3031, IMR4350, & IMR4831 with all of these bullets.

I'm wanting to change the barrel and everything. I imagine the parts alone will cost $1,000+ by the time I'm done but I want to build something larger than a 300WSM that I normally shoot.
What groups were you getting?

Parts can be cheaper than that if you stick with a basic rifle like I prefer. You can get a Boyds laminate thumbhole which are pretty good stocks and they are very affordable. You already have the best action, besides maybe a custom, to start with. You could also get a trigger but those old Remington triggers can be made pretty smooth and soft.

Boyds Thumbhole stock: $100
Hart/Shilen/Lilja/etc. barrel blank: $350
Scope Rings and mounts: $75-100
Devcon Bedding kit: $50

So you are around $600 and have a pretty good long range rifle, nothing super expensive but a very nice rifle. You also have to pay a smith to do all the barrel work, bed job, action truing, and the other odds and ends. Not sure what gunsmiths charge for all of this, we are fortunate enough that we can do all of our own work. You also need a scope and may want to get a bipod for it.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Since you have a standard bolt face, I recommend the .280 Ackley Improved 40* Shoulder. It's one bad dude for a standard long-action. And to fire-form brass, you can shoot regular factory .280 Rem ammo and out pops a freshly fire-formed cartridge for reloading. Barrel life is good, and as far as powder usage goes, it's an extremely efficient design. I recommend a 26" 1:9 barrel...Barrel contour is your choice, but it would be most efficient in a Remington Varmint/Sendero contour 26" barrel.

Do some reading and I think you'll find what you're looking for.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:51 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud96 View Post
What groups were you getting?

Parts can be cheaper than that if you stick with a basic rifle like I prefer. You can get a Boyds laminate thumbhole which are pretty good stocks and they are very affordable. You already have the best action, besides maybe a custom, to start with. You could also get a trigger but those old Remington triggers can be made pretty smooth and soft.

Boyds Thumbhole stock: $100
Hart/Shilen/Lilja/etc. barrel blank: $350
Scope Rings and mounts: $75-100
Devcon Bedding kit: $50

So you are around $600 and have a pretty good long range rifle, nothing super expensive but a very nice rifle. You also have to pay a smith to do all the barrel work, bed job, action truing, and the other odds and ends. Not sure what gunsmiths charge for all of this, we are fortunate enough that we can do all of our own work. You also need a scope and may want to get a bipod for it.
So are you saying these parts will get me to a 300 NM or everything I've thought about? I'm good on the rings and scope, I've got a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14 Boone&Crocket I can put on it already.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:54 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Since you have a standard bolt face, I recommend the .280 Ackley Improved 40* Shoulder. It's one bad dude for a standard long-action. And to fire-form brass, you can shoot regular factory .280 Rem ammo and out pops a freshly fire-formed cartridge for reloading. Barrel life is good, and as far as powder usage goes, it's an extremely efficient design. I recommend a 26" 1:9 barrel...Barrel contour is your choice, but it would be most efficient in a Remington Varmint/Sendero contour 26" barrel.

Do some reading and I think you'll find what you're looking for.
Never heard of the Ackley, I'll check it out!