Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

3 groove barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2005, 11:07 AM
Gold Member

Re: 3 groove barrels

tHANKS GUYS.

Fiftydriver, what you say confirms what I heard regarding barel life, but never heard about an increase in velocity.

As for bullet break up, do you refer to bergers for instance, ??
Old 01-30-2005, 12:34 PM
Bronze Member

Pete and Fifty you guys are right about my bullet choice. My gun was build to be a long range carry rifle but a short shot presented itself. I never used match bullets for big game before this. I used them because of what others have told me about heavier mk's staying together so well. I guess sometimes you need to figure things out for your self. I had a swift scirocco retain 80% of its weight on a similar shot on a cow elk the year before. Lesson learned.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Rem700,

Taking advice from others is not a fault on your part my friend and I hope you did not take my post as a flame toward you. These things happen when testing new things.

I myself had a similiar experience with a prototype bullet for my 257 Allen Mag, at the time I was testing the bullet in a 257 STW as it was the largest, fastest 257 around at the time. The bullet was a new 130 gr bonded Core prototype bullet.

Amazing bullet but against the makers advice I tried it on deer at this 3500 fps velocity. I took a shot on a big whitetail doe at 508 yards and hit her perfectly behind the shoulder. She ran 20 yards and piled up dead.

I later discovered that even at +500 yards with a starting muzzle velocity of nearly 3500 fps, this bullet was not stout enough in the jacket to handle the strain and lost alot of bullet weight. I will not say it let loose in any way because there was still a mangled mess of lead and copper. Still it was the wrong bullet for the situation and I was advised of this before hand.

In my case I did not listen to good advice even though as far as harvesting the animal I could not have asked for a better result.

Still, we now know that even at extreme range, at these velocity levels a stouter bullet will be needed for the 257 Allen Mag and such a bullet has been designed.

The nice thing is that if you make a quality shot placement in the chest of a big game, more then likely you will cleanly and quickly harvest the animal no matter what bullet is used.

Just build on your data base as far as bullet performance goes and you will be served well by this experience.

No flame intended at all, we are all in a learning stage [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-30-2005, 02:38 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Alg,

Hornady A-Maxs have let loose before anything in the fast twist 3 groove barrels but the Bergers are not far behind. I have found that seating the bullets into the lands relatively hard, of course after cautious load developement has resulted in these two bullets being able to handle higher velocities in these fast twist barrels then if they are seated off the lands.

This is due to the bullet not gaining linaer velocity before they engage the rifling which I believe stresses the jacket core bond and destroys accuracy. Seating into the lands starts the bullet rotating as soon as it starts moving down the bore. THis is less stressful on the thinner jacketed bullets.

I have not seen this as much in the thicker jacketed Sierra and Wildcat bullets.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-31-2005, 01:03 AM
Bronze Member

Let me relate a little experience I've had with bullet performance from a 338 Win Mag with a 250 Sierra spitzer boatail with a muzzle velocity of 2780fps. Years ago I shot a Mule Deer forked horn. I was above him sitting watching two passes over a ridge I knew had lots of deer on it. The shot was about 50yds and vaporized about 2" of back bone and where 3 ribs connected on one side and 4 ribs on the other. The bullet showoed near perfect mushrooming and performance. I recovered it under the skin off side in the brisket. At the time I decided that this would mean I shouldn't take a shoulder shot on Elk or Moose with this bullet.

In '87 I shot a Moose broadside @ 150 yards the bullet hit a rib and exploded, but I recovered all the fragments in the off side rib area some in the ribs and some almost completely through the ribs. When the Moose fell his feet went up in the air almost 90 degrees and he flopped down dead.

In '90 I shot a Moose with a similar shot. This time he walked about 3 or 4 steps and sat down with his head up. I fired another shot and he stayed there! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I thought, "Wait a minute a Moose wouldn't just go sit down like that after being shot at". Sure enough after I reloaded and went up to check him his head had landed on a piece of wood I couldn't see making it look like he was sitting there with his head up. The two shots were about 1/2" apart and surprisingly neither hit a rib. Absolutely no meat damage on this animal [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and his heart was loose in his chest.

In my new Weatherby Accumark 338/378 I'm planning to develope a load with the 300gr SMK for my intermediate and long range bullet and another load with a Swift Bonded Core 275gr for under 300 yards. Of course I'm hoping it will be possible to approximate the ballistics of the Sierra by slightly downloading the lighter bonded Swift bullet [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I thought I'd run this by people here to see if this seems reasonable. I'm open to suggestion. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]