Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

3 groove barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2005, 04:49 AM
Gold Member

3 groove barrels

what is the general opinion on 3 groove barrels ? are they more accurate than others, or simply enjoy a longer barrel life?
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2005, 02:09 PM

Re: 3 groove barrels

Don't know about three groves but my first high power rifle was a 1903-A3 Springfield 30-06 with a two grove barrel. My research indicated that at some extreme range (never quantified)the bullets would be less stable...or become unstable at a shorter range than with more groves. However, that was the opinion of an Army armorer about 35 years ago...for what its worth!
Old 01-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

I haven't found them to last any longer or be more accurate. The only thing I have found that they do is tear up fragile J4 jackets found on many match VLD bullets.
I was all hot on them 2 years ago, now I think 4,5,6, and 8's are easier on bullets.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:23 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I would agree somewhat with Goodgrouper on his comments. At least as far as heing harder in thin jacketed match bullets.

Of course I have only noticed this with fast twist barrels.

In standard twist barrels I have shot the J-4 jacketed bullets at extreme velocity(4100 fps with a 100 gr) with groups in the .2"s and .3"s in my 257 Allen Magnum.

Lilja says they are faster then a standard 6 groove and I tend to agree but to what extent it is very hard to tell. Perhaps 30 to 40 fps at the most.

I have found they foul less then a 6 groove and barrel life is also significantly longer. THis is why I use only Lilja 3 groove barrels in my 257, 6.5 and 270 AM rifles and any other extreme performance rifles I build.

Again, I have found that a 3 groove will tear a match bullet up very quickly in a fast twist barrel. Much quicker then a 6 groove.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen (50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-29-2005, 06:38 PM
Bronze Member

After hearing how good sierra match kings perform on game i tried the 240 gr. mk in my 300 ultra mag imp. on a montana hunt for mule deer and elk. My gun has a 3 groove 10 twist pac-nor barrel. I shoot a mule deer at 80 yards and the bullet totally blew up when it hit the rib cage. The inside of the deer was mush,but no part of the bullet reached the other side on the broadside shot. I was very disappointed with the bullet performance and would not even think of shooting at a elk with that bullet. Maybe the 3 groove had something to with it,but i am done hunting big game with match bullets.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:11 PM
Gold Member

Rem 700, could have told you that before you went hunting. admitting to doing what you did would cost you your hunting licence and as such your guns here buddy. Use a decent hunting bullet next time eh..
Pete
Old 01-30-2005, 10:07 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

REM700,

The problem was not the bullet, barrel or rifle, it was simply the use of this bullet in a situation where it had no business being used.

Smk perform great with this bullet weight on lighter game such as deer at extended ranges. Not open sighted Revolver hunting ranges.

As stated before, use the correct bullet for the job at hand. THe 300 RUM Imp is a very large round capable of high velocity even with these heavy bullets.

If you will be taking shots at under 500 yards, there is no good reason to use a Matchking over a true hunting bullet such as the 200 gr Accubond which would have served you much better.

TO be honest, at the range you shot your deer, I would say a 180 gr Partition would have had a partition failure nearly 90% of the time.

We need to be sure we use the correct horsepower for the job we are doing. If we want a screamer for use at short range, we need to step up and use a bullet that will survive the strain. There is no conventional cup jacketed bullet that would survive what you asked of this bullet.

That said, I bet that deer did not go far after the shot.

Please do not think this was a bullet FAILURE. This was simply a case of mental failure, choosing the wrong bullet for the job at hand. Be realistic and practical as you have gained useful experience. DO nto blame the bullet or barrel for your poor choice.

Learn from it and accept that fact that it was your failure. We all do it from time to time, learn from it and get smarter because of it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]!!!

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com