Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

3 brushes, 280 patches, still getting blue?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-30-2007, 12:06 AM
I seldom use a brush and prefer to clean with a patch and solvent only. I use a combo of wipe out and butches on my 300 RUM Sendero. I apply wipe out and let it sit for 10 minutes then patch it out. I follow with a wet patch of Butches and let set for 2 minutes, follow this by another patch of butches pushed down the barrel and back twice. I repeat till it is clean. I use no more than 12-15 patches after shooting 20-25 pills. I believe like the others, the copper brush is breaking down , giving you the blues! Once you settle into your own technique, clean your barrel but don't scrub it to death.

Unread 07-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Bronze Member
Definately switch to a less agressive cleaner like Shooter's Choice/Kroil combo and see if problem resolves.

I also use a surefire light at the muzzle to check for fouling. The intensely white light make the copper fouling easy to see, especially if you park the rod and jag 2-3" from the muzzle and give light something to reflect off.
Unread 08-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Silver Member
I've tried the patch only method, and I'm not sure what you guys are using that can get it clean with only patches, but I can't do it with just patches.

I clean and clean until I get clean patches. Then I run a brush through several times, and my next patches are BLACK!

How can you be getting them clean with just patches?

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson
Unread 08-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Silver Member
I have a rifle that with a barrel that after 3 shots has copper streaks almost hanging out the muzzle. I found that using Wipe-Out and the accelerator if I just let it sit over night it takes out everything. There is no copper, no powder fouling and no carbon left to see. I don't have a borescope but if I run anything else through the tube I get no results. So I think it's clean.
Unread 08-03-2007, 08:31 AM
Silver Member
There's some good info about borecleaning at this link:

I prefer Montana Extreme 50BMG for copper fouling, but use Wipeout also.

I agree with most here that the blue color on the patches was almost certainly a result of using the bronze brush.