Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

2nd shot flyer????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Silver Member

2nd shot flyer????

So it seems my cooper 54 excalibur 260 is a good shooting rifle but for some reason i keep getting a second shot flyer. I am only shooting 3 shot groups and letting the rifle cool inbetween shots but the second round always seems to be about 1/2-3/4" outside the first and third shots. It doesnt matter what load or seating depth i try it just consistantly does it. Any ideas as to what could be causing this?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 2nd shot flyer????

Pretty simple solution to that specific problem,,,

Skip that second shot.

Or, shoot the first and third, then the second to make a 3-shot group.

Seriously, This is a unique one.

What if you shot a 6-shot group, with plenty of cooling time between shots, would the second and 4th shots fliers?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Silver Member

I have the same thing happening with my HS Precision SPL 300 WM. shots 1 and 3 will touch but 2 is always 1/2 inch or more away. I changed seating depth and got a little better results but the problem is still there. After the elk hunt I will contact HS for their opinion. Suggest you contact Cooper.....
Old 08-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharfo View Post
I have the same thing happening with my HS Precision SPL 300 WM. shots 1 and 3 will touch but 2 is always 1/2 inch or more away. I changed seating depth and got a little better results but the problem is still there. After the elk hunt I will contact HS for their opinion. Suggest you contact Cooper.....

Seating the bullet deeper did help me a bit also but i still have the same problem. I'll try to contact cooper
Old 08-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Silver Member

Funny thing is i just got back from the range and my 100 yards groups where right around 3/4" even with the flyer and my 200 yard groups only opened up to 1.10" with the flyer as well. Not bad accuracy considering the flyers.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

My .338 WinMag is having flier issues. Either shots 1 & 2 good, 3 flier, or shots 1 & 3 good, shot 2 flier...

Solution......

Snatch barrel off, true action, replace with new barrel in a better caliber (something 7mm or .257 Wby). As if yall didn't already know...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Could be something as simple as shooting form. If you don't do everything the same it ain't going to shoot the same place.