Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

284 rebarrel

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11
284 rebarrel

I have an old 300 win mag I want to rebarrel. I am thinking about a 284 Winchester (I like regular cartridges not that popular anymore)and wanted some input on what kind of performance I might beable to get. I am new to this but thought with longer actioni would be able to leave bullets out and not cut into case capacity evenwith longer high BC bullets. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,758
Re: 284 rebarrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwv View Post
I have an old 300 win mag I want to rebarrel. I am thinking about a 284 Winchester (I like regular cartridges not that popular anymore)and wanted some input on what kind of performance I might beable to get. I am new to this but thought with longer actioni would be able to leave bullets out and not cut into case capacity evenwith longer high BC bullets. Any thoughts?
My first thought would be to go to either the .264 WM or .260 Rem, or even 6.5x55 due to superior down range ballistics of the 6.5 vs 7mm... .

If I were going to stick with a 7mm, I'd either go to the 7mm STW(which I absolutely love) or 7mm R mag.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 156
Re: 284 rebarrel

That's cool, but you will have to get a new bolt as the 284 Win uses a .470" bolt face compated to the standard belted magnum case head of .540". Maybe you can find someone that will trade you a standard action for a belted mag action. Other than that, you are on the right track. I am also tossing the idea around on what my next build will be. Leaning highly towards a medium length cartridge on a long action to seat long bullets far out, maximizing the powder capacity.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11
Re: 284 rebarrel

I would like to stay with the 7. Will the STW fit a savage 111 300 win mag action. I would really like to go with the 284 anyway just not sure what I could expect extra with a longer action if anything over commercial ballistics?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 156
Re: 284 rebarrel

Actually, the heavy 7mm bullets (180+ gr) will give you better downrange numbers than the 6.5mm. The benefit of the 6.5mm is the bullet is lighter (140 gr) so you get less recoil.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,758
Re: 284 rebarrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hntbambi View Post
Actually, the heavy 7mm bullets (180+ gr) will give you better downrange numbers than the 6.5mm. The benefit of the 6.5mm is the bullet is lighter (140 gr) so you get less recoil.
No the 6.5 gives you much higher ballistic coefficients so you have better long range peformance in both accuracy and retained velocity.

A great example comes from comparing the .260 140 gr to the .300 wm 180gr.

At a thousand yards using standard loads you have 110 inchess less drop from the .260.

Pull up a ballistic calculator and compare long range performance between 7mm and 6.5 using standard loads and you will see similar results. The Higher BC of the 6.5 is more stable, and retains velocity better.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,758
Re: 284 rebarrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwv View Post
I would like to stay with the 7. Will the STW fit a savage 111 300 win mag action. I would really like to go with the 284 anyway just not sure what I could expect extra with a longer action if anything over commercial ballistics?
The parent case for the .264 is the .338 wm if I remember right so yes I believe you could build the STW on the same action. You can probably also go with the Remington 7mm ultra mag on that same action.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: 284 rebarrel
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you rebarrel a BAR? R.C.Saul Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 0 01-14-2010 08:17 PM
300 win mag rebarrel ?? darrindlh Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 4 01-13-2010 05:26 PM
Who to rebarrel M70? rickdavis81 Gunsmithing 7 01-02-2010 02:58 PM
Rebarrel 22-250 huntem Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 12 02-17-2006 07:18 PM
Should I rebarrel to .308 or .260? Duff Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 2 01-20-2006 09:05 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC